Discuss Testing portable welfare units with built in generator in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

isk57

-
Reaction score
Hi
I’ve recently tested a unit and rcd times are fine and R1R2 but Ze and Zs are High values and are not within bs7671 for a tns supply , I don’t really know what ze I should be getting to start with and would it be better treating it as a TT ,I will admit I’ve never done one before and only done houses

Hi
I’ve recently tested a unit and rcd times are fine and R1R2 but Ze and Zs are High values and are not within bs7671 for a tns supply , I don’t really know what ze I should be getting to start with and would it be better treating it as a TT ,I will admit I’ve never done one before and only done houses
I do a lot of mobile medical units that have either built in or stand alone generators.
Dont forgot a generator is not going to give you the best Zs as it has a high impedance because of how its built and works.
Dealing with generators in the 7909 world small sets can be set up diffrent ways, INS, TNS but rarely TT and unless your deploying a rod for a true TT rather than for a TNS dont think of treating it as TT.
Most built in small sets wont be able to deliver enough fault current for the CBs it will just stall instead. There is a big reliance on the RCD. Have a look in 7671 at mobile and transportable units also 7909 if you have it or one of the guides to 7909 theres some really useful generator diagrams aimed towards OB units mainly but a lot of the principles are the same.
[automerge]1575409173[/automerge]
I do a lot of mobile medical units that have either built in or stand alone generators.
Dont forgot a generator is not going to give you the best Zs as it has a high impedance because of how its built and works.
Dealing with generators in the 7909 world small sets can be set up diffrent ways, INS, TNS but rarely TT and unless your deploying a rod for a true TT rather than for a TNS dont think of treating it as TT.
Most built in small sets wont be able to deliver enough fault current for the CBs it will just stall instead. There is a big reliance on the RCD. Have a look in 7671 at mobile and transportable units also 7909 if you have it or one of the guides to 7909 theres some really useful generator diagrams aimed towards OB units mainly but a lot of the principles are the same.

Hi

Ze is the EFLI of the supply external to the installation. There is no such thing for a self contained unit so you cannot have measured Ze.

Yes Zs can be high if the generator is small or very close to the point at which you are measuring. Consult the specs of the generator to find out what fault current it can deliver etc.

What exactly do you mean by 'treat it as a TT'? If the generator is built in to the unit how and why would you try to make it a TT system??

Reply to Testing portable welfare units with built in generator in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock