• Welcome to the new forum. We're now hosted on ElectriciansForums.net rather than ElectriciansForums.co.uk - Chat about the forum upgrade by CLICKING HERE

Welcome to our Electrical Forum - We started out providing electrical advice just for the UK - But now we have specific advice for the USA too! - Register for free and share American Electrical Advice.

Discuss Testing RCBO at Light Switch in the Electricians Forum Rules area at ElectriciansForums.net

Professional Grade LED Lighting Strips

ELECNEWT

Regular EF Member
Telextric, as I understand it, you are saying that testing at the switch is acceptable but that testing at the outgoing terminals is preferable.

Do you think there is ever a case for using both methods?

Starjack

Dont hate my success, strive to match it.
Electrician's Arms
I always test at the load side of the rcbo with finals disconnected but also like to test at the furthest point ,be that a socket or light etc.

Midwest

Electrician's Arms
The BEAMA RCD handbook does state in the section for testing by installer;

All tests must be performed with all loads disconnected using an
appropriate calibrated test instrument connected as close to the RCD as possible.

But thats not the same as testing on the RCD terminals.

Starjack

Dont hate my success, strive to match it.
Electrician's Arms
Also I think some rcds / rcbos actually need short pieces of cable on the load side to get a reading.

Rpa07

4000 posts - only 54195 behind Telectrix!
Electrician's Arms
Also I think some rcds / rcbos actually need short pieces of cable on the load side to get a reading.
That is a lot of faff when , As has been stated, you are testing the circuit to the accessory to check the functionality of the RCD part of the RCBO. Now a ramp test is different and would warrant disconnection.

Midwest

Electrician's Arms
Read it for me Middy and give the bare bones - I can’t be bothered and you seem to have spare time on your hands!
You should read it. Yesterday we had one member agreeing with himself, now we might have one disagreeing with himself. :D

Electrician Talk

Electrical 2 Go - Electrical Supplier and Electrical Wholesalers
Electrical Insurance