Discuss Thee phase supply but only single phase needed. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

Spannaz

Quick question......I have been asked to quote for a full install into a small showroom that has been converted from a garage. The premises has an existing 3 phase supply which I guess was installed for the car lifts and welding gear. The plan is that downstairs is now going to be a showroom, holding about 6 or 8 cars, and then there's a small office above with a bit of a kitchen area.

Installing a full 3 phase board seems like overkill for what is needed as its mainly spotlights, a few sockets, electric cooker and perhaps 3 storage heaters.

What options are there?

I guess just tapping in to one phase would theoretically work but not best use of the supply.

I could ask the supplier to install a new single phase supply and meter especially as the existing meter is really old.

Any advice guys?

I could ask the supplier to install a new single phase supply and meter especially as the existing meter is really old.

tghat would be the way i would suggest.

I'd just install a 3 phase DB...

Think about the future they could just want that now but then in 4 weeks they release they need some more equipment or what to expand further down the line.

OR

Get the supplier to install new service head's and meter and just come out with one phase...

if the service head is old cast iron, they might upgrade FOC.

fit a small 3phase board make the most of what you have, your installation will be easily balanced

Just install a 3 phase board and make sure you balance out the phases when planning your db layout/schedule. As #3 said, its there for possible future use.
i doubt anyone else pricing for the job will be going to the effort or additional cost of cchanging the supply to the building

To start with a showroom for displaying cars usually has a high lux level, is the ceiling low or high?
If the service head is 3ph and you only need one then at present you be tarriffed for 3phase but on request they will just normally charge to come and withdraw the fuses on the redundant phases and seal them off, if as i assume its a large high showroom your lighting is going to be a heavy consumer and should be balanced if you already have the option to do so.

If you have thought and accounted for all of this and still want 1ph you can usually buy a single phasing kits for existing board if its not too old and 3ph this leaves the future option of returning to 3ph, the power provider will continue to charge 3 ph tarrif if you just cease to use 2phases without them been aware which is just money down the drain.

Just install a 3 phase board and make sure you balance out the phases when planning your db layout/schedule. As #3 said, its there for possible future use.
i doubt anyone else pricing for the job will be going to the effort or additional cost of cchanging the supply to the building

Hi pik welcome to the forum..... as already mentioned they wont be any large costs in getting DNO in and sealing off unused phases and its cost effective as the clients monthly tariff is reduced but agree with the future proofing its just a balance game for the OP deciding how best his client will benefit.

Hi pik welcome to the forum..... as already mentioned they wont be any large costs in getting DNO in and sealing off unused phases and its cost effective as the clients monthly tariff is reduced but agree with the future proofing its just a balance game for the OP deciding how best his client will benefit.

OK, went through all his with the client. They contacted their supplier who anted to charge £250 to seal off two phases from the service heads but the real sting was that wanted to migrate the tariff they charge so the client would go from about 9p kWH to 12 kWH....cheeky buggers!!!

Have now installed a 3-phase board.

Well was worth a try, it not my experience but assume its post code lottery, i got 2 phases sealed and tarrif dropped all for free but was a few years ago, if its not going to be cheaper then 3ph best option, i would enquire with other energy suppliers to see if they can do a deal that suits your customer, you need a bargaining chip and the thought of losing you is a very strong one, i would enquire with a few other suppliers then ring customers supplier with the intention of leaving them saying you have got a better deal on the table but only reveal to them that it is for a free seal off, migration to a 1-ph tarrif and a slightly better offer on the existing set-up but dont mention what.

Too late now i assume but all suppliers etc be it gas, sky, mob' or electricity work the same the dont like to lose profit but they will sacrifice it rather than lose a customer but you have to be prepared to cancel as it a fine line to tread when bartering.

I got my £70 sky monthly bill reduced to 35 for 18months but they had put me through to cancelation first as you have to be adamant you want to leave this is where they have more flexibilty to try keep you on, they first offered me 6months but succesive replies of i cant afford and why pay HD when its now free on most freesat systems as well as it becomming a service of repeats got me the deal but caution as they could have easily said ok will cancel after the first or second offer.
Ive done this with mobiles, energy supplier you name the deals im on are quite good i must confess.

Reply to Thee phase supply but only single phase needed. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock