Discuss Time for a new Electricians' union? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Is it time a skilled trade like ours started our own union? Not part of Unite, not Unison, or any of the other other general unions but something that only accepts skilled C&G qualified sparks into membership?

Is it time a skilled trade like ours started our own union? Not part of Unite, not Unison, or any of the other other general unions but something that only accepts skilled C&G qualified sparks into membership?
What in the same mode as the American Electricians TU?

You mean, like the competent electrician schemes? What would be the point/advantage of your “union”?

an ex TU rep I can see the benefits in large firms that recognise TUs for negotiating Pay, etc, the one I was repping for was "PROSPECTfi" a union for Professionals they were good but not specifically for Electricians

There used to be EPTU or something like that which was for electricians which merged and become Amicas that become UNITE.
I did see a youtube video with two blokes talking to Paul Meadem? of E5 who had started up a union for electricians I think.

The ETU, my union,was responsible for one of the biggest betrayals of worker by fellow worker in the history of unions

Wapping was the name and shame was the game,I resigned from that union after their actions in cutting the throats of their fellow workers and was ashamed to admit it had at one time represented me

Interesting responses -the sins of former organisations are not an argument against a future organisation. I think the big general unions we've ended up with have lost all focus in representing trades. For example, as a sole trader I think the lobbying on behalf of the industry with government is hopeless. I am mug enough to pay to be in a CPS. I am commercially undermined all the time by people who do electrical work without carrying this cost. These people are breaking the rules (arguably the law). I want this stopped. Is this too much to ask? Contrast with the rights of lawyers, pilots or doctors, who have hung on to their TRADE union.

You don’t need trade unions to stop the undermining. Just better policing. ( I don’t mean the actual rossers)

As for sins of the former organisations. Yes I may not be being fair on future organisations, but I will need a lot of convincing.

Traditionally Trade unions demand more money, more holidays, higher pensions, better working conditions.

The only one I agree with is better safer working conditions.

Money and holiday demands without any thought to the business model and wether the business can afford to trade with these demands have always destroyed business.

Wages should be dictated by demand and availability.

If you don’t like you lot in a company leave go elsewhere. If there isn’t anywhere else to go stay and stop moaning, you’ve got a job be grateful.

It is my thought that for a TU for Sparkies it has to have 100% involvement otherwise it won't work, TUs are perfect for large conglomerates and should be involved with Senior Management, for things like Pay, Holidays, H&S, T&Cs etc, for Sole traders I can't in all honesty see being a member of a TU being of any use to the Trader.
I personally believe that a Professional body is needed with the involvement of the IET, SCAMS sorry Schemes, JIB, examination bodies, C&Gs as an example, to monitor and look after the needs of the many.
Thereby comes to the problem with my idea, there are far to many Sole traders who, don't belong to a Scheme, or don't have the relevant qualifications to be called electricians, there needs in my opinion a radical upgrade of the CPSchemes and others to make representation for Electricians, or any other Trade for that matter work, to be of use to anyone, a very good idea OP but not something that is viable in the age of pick up some tools and become an instant Tradesperson.
With due respect to Paignton Pete, and I understand his frustration, his statement is so far from the modern way of working in todays climate, having a job and keeping it is a laudable idea, but employees need protecting otherwise we will end up back in the dark ages, sorry Pete.

Hi pete999
I respect your opinion.
I just feel the pendulum has swung too far in the employees direction.
The employers and industry are the ones that need a bit of protection now in order for them to give employees jobs.
If it swings back the other way I may come out on the unions side.

Hi pete999
I respect your opinion.
I just feel the pendulum has swung too far in the employees direction.
The employers and industry are the ones that need a bit of protection now in order for them to give employees jobs.
If it swings back the other way I may come out on the unions side.
Fair enough PP

Fair enough PP
In addition to my Fair enough Petem from my experiences as a TU rep, many Unions especially the larger, more well known ones, are also wised up n Employers' right, I can see tour point though, in the cases I dealt with, it was quite a few, some disciplinary, some Ts&Cs some pay issues, the Union always involved management in all issues, and the outcome of many of these cases, weren't sympathetic to the individual, in fact in some cases I dealt with it was often the case of the individual being told to abide by the rules set out by the company, and stop being so childish, or words to that effect. Yes I agree companies need protection as well, which is why, in my opinion ALL parties, Employers and Employees need to be involved at all times.
I guess where you are coming from (only a guess) involves the smaller Companies 1 Man Bands and the like, where disputes are quite often of a personal nature.
Employees' need protection at times but some how I don't think Unions for Employees would work, after all they are more than likely the reason why Employees seek TU help, I reckon in the case of Employers; needing help should come from some sort of Directors Professional bodies, as well as help and advice from the CP Schemes. Like I said these CP Schemes along with the industry as a whole need a shake up, I guess you can see from the tone of my post, I'm not a great fan of these CP Schemes, far to many to be any good, one licensing body is all that is needed, funded and Managed HMG and not Money grabbing leaches, funding their lives by leaching money from hard working Electricians, sorry for the Rant, my juices are flowing, time for another Coffee methinks.

Reply to Time for a new Electricians' union? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock