Discuss Timelock with Photocell then Contactor with a Keyswitch in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

Liam howe

I have got a little job to do tomorrow and need some assisstance.
I need to install a contactor for some outside lighting.

Can anyone draw me up or explain as best as they can how to wire the following, I have a rough idea its just the last time i wired a contactor etc was many years ago

A timeclock will be used with a photocell and then the Contactor along with a keyswitch too as the lights are emergency.

Any help will be appriciated thanks

Why are you having to put a contactor is now, how did it work before?

You need to power the coil of the contactor with whatever does the switching, A1 would be your switch wire and A2 your neutral, you would then need to power your lights through the contactor relay. That is a simplified version of what needs to be done, would need more info to elaborate.

These lights are a new install, the original contractor cannot complete the job.

How would i encorporate a keyswitch into this?

So it sounds like you will have a permanent live and a switch live to each light if they are a maintained emergecy light so you will nead a 3 core and earth to the lights send the switched live through the contactor and the permanent live through your test switch you will then supply tbe contactor coil via the time clock and tbe photo cell.

If you are buying a contactor, you will get a wiring diagram with it. However there are two things, switched supply to the coil and when the coil activates the terminals closed by the coil are for the lights. We have a similar setup supplying seventeen lights. I did not put a key switch in as you can just switch of the timed supply with a spur supplying it all. And that gear is locked in a cupboard so no one can interfere without a tool or key. There is a seasonal time clock set for 52 degrees north so no need for a photocell in this case. Maybe the keyswitch is a bit overkill unless the public can get at it, but if they can then they can mess with the time switch.

Emergency lighting should not have a switched fuse connection unit which can interfere with the permanent supply. An identified test facility ia required.

If you insist!

Hmm I am of similar sentiment with mine!

This shows the timer and photocell in series so the lights are only on when the timer is on and it is dark, wire in parallel if you want the lights on when the timer is on and/or when it is dark.

View attachment 35445
Hi mate - I hope its not too cheeky - but im just trying to educate myself on this to. I cant open the attachment. Is there any chance you can repost it? Thanks in advance

If you are buying a contactor, you will get a wiring diagram with it. However there are two things, switched supply to the coil and when the coil activates the terminals closed by the coil are for the lights. We have a similar setup supplying seventeen lights. I did not put a key switch in as you can just switch of the timed supply with a spur supplying it all. And that gear is locked in a cupboard so no one can interfere without a tool or key. There is a seasonal time clock set for 52 degrees north so no need for a photocell in this case. Maybe the keyswitch is a bit overkill unless the public can get at it, but if they can then they can mess with the time switch.

You are aware the keyswitch is for em testing arent you, I hardly think you can call that overkill when it is a requirement of the British standard

Reply to Timelock with Photocell then Contactor with a Keyswitch in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net