Discuss Tips on EV charging instal in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
looking at getting started with ev charger installs, wondering if this is worth doing? do you get many requests? do I need qualifications and any tips to get started.

cheers

looking at getting started with ev charger installs, wondering if this is worth doing? do you get many requests? do I need qualifications and any tips to get started.

cheers
I have been long established in the ev charging field.
Do lots of them, not as many as I used to as lots more people now fit them, but i am still amazed some electricians run a mile.
With more people doing them and national firms gettting in on the action there has been a race to the bottom but these arent my customers as the big firms wont touch the installs that need a bit of thought and planning.
your Andersen customer paying £1k plus for a charger wants a top install.

no qualifications needed as such but if sub contracting may be asked for them by manufacturers. some wont allow you to become approved installer without them.

there are still grants out there and if the customer has a ltd company you can route install through wcs grant even if a house as long as registered company address is the house.

my advice is do all the online training from manufacturers, especially if they will supply leads. evbug will supply leads for free.

let your customers know that you install them and drop it into conversation, if they ask are you busy say yes, fitting ev chargers!

word of mouth is the best advertising,

Judging from some of the EV installs I have seen (and conversations I have had with electricians I meet) I would suggest the C & G course is essential to avoid the ignorant mistakes some are making (like not applying to the DNO for permission in advance or notifying them of an install, as appropriate) which will include the Code of Practice. It is also worth becoming accredited with OLEZ, despite there being no more Homecharge Scheme grants you can apply, but there are still Workplace grants for commercial installs and another scheme for rental properties. The application is a formality once you have passed the C & G exam, (as well as being currently Part P accredited with the NICEIC/ NAPIT or whoever).

As Paul says, above, the number has reduced a bit (as the bigger companies have swept-in, double glazing style, and hoovered-up the easy work, stacking them high and selling them cheap!

However, if you do the specific training courses with specific manufacturers (much of it on-line) you might be able to get yourself listed as one of their "accredited installers". Perhaps go for the higher-end companies?
Tesla seem to have a policy of encouraging their customers to buy a charge point direct from them (while they are still hooked!), then find an electrician to fit it! (However, their Gen 2 and Gen 3 "Wall Boxes" are not fully compliant with UK Regs and need additional protection - something else some sparks don't seem to realise!) So that might be a start?

But don't give up the day job!!!

I’ve also done city and guilds ev course and it’s a decent starter point. As already mentioned most manufacturers offer tailored training for their items especially with the larger dc chargers and if buying for a commercial environment they usually offer training on their back office services too.

Reply to Tips on EV charging instal in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net