Discuss TIS 851 self proving voltage tester any good? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

adonis2

-
DIY
Reaction score
I was looking at the Kewtech KT1780 voltage tester in toolstation, when I see the TIS 851 that is self proving and wondered if anyone used one and they are any good.

I was looking at the Kewtech KT1780 voltage tester in toolstation, when I see the TIS 851 that is self proving and wondered if anyone used one and they are any good.
I seem to remember that those so called self test jobbies only test the electronics within the tester, could be wrong though, I always use a PU

I am a diy'er so it is not worth buying top of the range tools, but would rather use a decent tester even with the power off to be sure.
Might seem to have been worth using the proper tools if you find yourself attached to something that has 230Volts in it and you can't let go.

I seem to remember that those so called self test jobbies only test the electronics within the tester, could be wrong though, I always use a PU
I agree Pete and would add that branding this "self proving" is somewhat ambiguous and could be misleading to its target market. It appears all it is doing is showing all the LEDs light up when the probes are touched together for a couple of seconds (the Fluke T130 & others also do this, however the manufacturer doesn't deem them "self proving") Rather different to proving it at 230V etc.

It's not even particularly cheap - spend a bit extra and get a Fluke.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree Pete and would add that branding this "self proving" is somewhat ambiguous and could by misleading to its target market. It appears all it is doing is showing all the LEDs light up when the probes are touched together for a couple of seconds (the Fluke T130 & others also do this, however the manufacturer doesn't deem them "self proving") Rather different to proving it at 230V etc.

It's not even particularly cheap - spend a bit extra and get a Fluke.
Or a Drummond, proper job that one

No TIS gear I have used today is up to day to day professional use and has a cheap feel to it but if it is for DIY it is more than enough for your needs I would say

No TIS gear I have used today is up to day to day professional use and has a cheap feel to it but if it is for DIY it is more than enough for your needs I would say
I have to give you a disagree Matthew, solely for the statement that you agree it cheap looking, but OK for DIY, I would say that a DIYer using cheap test gear makes it even more of a danger, no offence meant.

I've a TIS clamp meter, it does it's job pretty well.

I know it's not going to take as much abuse as more expensive versions, but treat it with a bit of care an it's done me ok the past few years as a cheap carry around that I'm not afraid to loose or get stolen.

I have to give you a disagree Matthew, solely for the statement that you agree it cheap looking, but OK for DIY, I would say that a DIYer using cheap test gear makes it even more of a danger, no offence meant.
What I mean is although it is functional from what I have seen it isn't up to day to day use and going in and out of the toolbox over and over and I don't think it could take a few bumps along the way

I personally thought the proving part was about providing enough energy to prove IR at 200V ish volts ..without overdoing it ...
(Like harming operator--If fatally flawed)
If you tried a neon screwdriver full of salt water...
you would "Know" something was wrong !!!
--NEONS are dangerous--

a neon screwdriver fullof salt water..... now that's a really cheap RCD tester. who needs MFTs?

Reply to TIS 851 self proving voltage tester any good? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock