Discuss Todays board change - 'real world' with older cables. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Dave OCD

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
This was commenced at 2.30pm today after having to locate and rectify an open neutral on a ring, missing earth continuity on a lighting circuit and 2 sockets spurred off the cooker. ? It's as good as I could make it with the older T&Es , and annoying that everything barring 2 lives of a ring were long enough to reconnect comfortably. These are nice CUs though, my standard choice now. ? [I know there's a slight slant on the devices, had 3 goes at sorIMG_4193.jpgting that but they just kept ending up like this... ]

The colour code at the leftmost RCBO is a curious thing. I accept that the browns are just links to the Wagos 3 inches above and that there is no ambiguity, but I would have been tempted to over-sleeve the black with blue, or even tape the browns red in the absence of an offcut of red 2.5, just so the L & N are from the same flavour of code.

Seeing a pair of black and brown makes me think of bilge pumps, as brown is the NMEA boat wiring code colour for DC pump positives.

As above a bit of old 2,5 red to extend the cables would have been ideal.

apart from that a mustard job any sparks would be proud of ?

Lovely job. Next fusebox I do I’m determined to get them straight. They are always slightly loose on the din rail, torquing up the bus bar from left to right seemed to makes it worse (unless by fourth attempt I’d completely lost the plot!)
Might try a clamp….

Neat!! I like Fusebox but 1.2Nm on the terminals just doesn't seem tight enough IMO, its alright for 1mm cable but not tight enough for a 10mm shower circuit.

This was commenced at 2.30pm today after having to locate and rectify an open neutral on a ring, missing earth continuity on a lighting circuit and 2 sockets spurred off the cooker. ? It's as good as I could make it with the older T&Es , and annoying that everything barring 2 lives of a ring were long enough to reconnect comfortably. These are nice CUs though, my standard choice now. ? [I know there's a slight slant on the devices, had 3 goes at sorView attachment 87105ting that but they just kept ending up like this... ]
Looks a great job. It's a real pity the fusebox rcbos have the lean like mcg and mk, really puts me off buying it

The colour code at the leftmost RCBO is a curious thing. I accept that the browns are just links to the Wagos 3 inches above and that there is no ambiguity, but I would have been tempted to over-sleeve the black with blue, or even tape the browns red in the absence of an offcut of red 2.5, just so the L & N are from the same flavour of code.

Seeing a pair of black and brown makes me think of bilge pumps, as brown is the NMEA boat wiring code colour for DC pump positives.
I did try and find a little bit of red 2.5 Lucian but no luck, so I thought I'd make the 2 colour versions label on the outer cover do its job instead. ?

I started using fusebox then local supplier had stock issues.
Last 3 boards have been BG. New ones are okay. I like the newer small form RCBOs.
Only thing with BG is the knockouts are a pain. The metal seems quite thick so needs a good whack without damaging board or a sharp hole saw.
I do find it much easier to dress a rcbo board than a split load.

The only annoying thing for me with RCBO boards is trying to get the neutral tails tidy,always tempting to use cable ties but that could compromise heat dissipation....
See a couple double pole rcbo boards on the domestic market with no N fly lead

the one with the L & N busbar s

SBS sell them. It looks like the website is being updated but the price list is there:

@dseselectric did a review/job with one in one of his latest videos, I like the idea but the downside is if SBS to go the wall, maintainability and compatibility will go out the window with them, no chance getting a 3rd party bit of switchgear to work with it.

ETA video link;

I can’t see why anyone still fits a dual rcd split board these days

the cost upgrade to fully rcbo is so small now it’s a no brainier

I haven’t fitted a dual split rcd board in like 5 or 6 years
Which boards are you fitting, DD? For Hager, there's a significant difference in price. £90 for a 10 way fully loaded dual RCD board, vs £280 for 10 way RCBO. Add an SPD on the latter and you're looking at ~£370.

The only annoying thing for me with RCBO boards is trying to get the neutral tails tidy,always tempting to use cable ties but that could compromise heat dissipation....
In many boards the diversity is large - i.e. the supply and realistic demand is limited 60-100A but the sum of MCB/RCBO is often near double that, and often the neutral tails are a generous size as well, so I really doubt there would be much heating to worry about if bundled. It might be worth doing a typical grouping calculation on the breaker limit and neutral CSA to prove it but too late in the evening for that!

Having ferrules and a crimper to hand at least allows them to be cut to sensible lengths for a better dressing approach.

Reply to Todays board change - 'real world' with older cables. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net