Discuss Tool for cutter the steel wire of SWA cable in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Am i the only person who pulls the outer sheath 1-2 inches out and uses that as a guide for hacksawing it?!

Who needs a guide?
It's all in the eyes and knowing what looks 'square' and what doesn't:)
Years of practice probably but...............I look at my putt once then in she goes..........shame about the rest of my game lol

Another vote up for the blade runner from me! Not that I mind the hacksaw method, if your doing small (ish, 6's, 10's etc) cables then its quick, clean and accurate! And you can get into tight places with it then you could with a hacksaw. The only thing is they are plastic, I'm on my second one now as it got mullered in my toolbag!

Saw a big daddy version of the blade runner the other day too, so you lucky pups who make off 95's etc on a regular are in luck if you fancy giving it a go, save your pearlies!

Another blade runner vote, works well, also have a tool you slide down the cable to cut the sheath, think its German brand.

Nothing wrong with the hacksaw and knife though, I just Like buying tools and these made the cut and have a home in the tool bag.

For an indoor gland lovely any standard above domestic installation maybe not so much. I’d like to say junior hacksaw no matter the size of swa a be aware of a new blade as occasionally you can cut slightly deeper when ringing.

When attempting a few metres stripping back I like to unravel all swa in one it leaving 200 to 300 and cutting the excess. Then becomes easier to remove 1-4 steels at a time to have a nice end when needed with certain cheaper glands.

Ringing the swa with a junior hacksaw is an art but feeling comfortable or naturally doing it is something else. Forming the swa in the certain angles and positions will also help giving you a precise connection between the olive a cone. This with larger swa’s will end up landing the cable into position with minimal resistance. Repetition, trial and error and lot of practice is probably unrated.

For a larger swa when you only get one gland in a pack bw, cw glands are suspect. E1w from cablecraft I’ve found don’t mix metals (comes with a brass nut), a ip washer (fibre washer will give you the same outcome but fibre washers deteriorate in harsher environments) also a brass screw for tapping the swa bond into a gland plate, jb, cabinet, board.

Tools needed

-Knipex cobra adjustable wrench x2 250mm long will do to a 32mm maybe 40 (less chance of damaging the brass which wouldn’t pass compex or Atex gland inspections when being assessed) believe it or not tend to be more handy than expected only have a 160 set knipex cobra grips in my bag now.

-Stanley

-Junior hacksaw

Enjoy lol

Tony / Jointech. I saw it and thought the same, just expanding on the blade runner/pipe cutter principle. 🤘

No idea what the blade runner is, but this will handle any size cable from 25 up. No frequent replacement of blades and needs only a 1/4 turn back and forth. Simple and very effective, but surprisingly no one previously thought of using it.

Old thread.

I’m sure everything has been suggested before, but good to carry on the conversation.

It hadn't been, hence my response to this resurrected thread. There are only a small number of new posts, so it won't take long to read them and determine whether they hold any relevance to the work you do.

I have the blade runner and armourslice, I must admit while both are very useful tools, I don't use the blade runner much since I bought the armourslice and that only really comes out if I can't get a junior hacksaw in, most of the time I just use a saw as it saves me having loads of extra kit to lug around!
Sy

You didn't list Tony's exhaust cutter which works like a dream on sizes other products won't look at, right up to the biggest of cables, and doesn't need new blades at regular intervals. For small cables, a hacksaw cuts through armour faster than you can set up an armourslice.

I thought one was missing but had a complete brainfart

Hacksaw

TLC Blade Runner - Bladerunner SWA Stripper - Bladerunner SWA Stripper - https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/KTWSBR28.html

CK Armourslice - Armourslice SWA Cable Stripper : Carl Kammerling International - https://www.ck-tools.com/products/ck-tools/armourslice-swa-cable-stripper/

Plumbers Pipeslice - Hand tool set with TC 35 and TC 42 in ROBOX | Pipe cutters - TUBE CUTTER 35 | Pipe cutters - https://rothenberger.com/gb-en/pipe-cutters/pipe-cutter-tube-cutter-35 (versions also for INOX/Stainless)

Grinder

Handheld Bandsaw

Exhaust cutter - Sealey Exhaust Pipe Cutter | Halfords UK - https://www.halfords.com/motoring/tools/garage-equipment/head-gasket-and-exhaust-repairs/sealey-exhaust-pipe-cutter-453390.html

That Sealey cutter looks to be a terrible design for the purpose of cutting armour, not to mention its frightening price. This link, coupled with your prior 'brain fart' could lead one to believe you don't want people knowing about this wonder tool 😁

https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/irwin...-45mm-manual-multi-material-pipe-cutter/84140

Increase pressure gently. It's the same kind of pressure used when cutting 8mm copper
The strands snap off cleanly.

Reply to Tool for cutter the steel wire of SWA cable in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net