Search the forum,

Discuss Torque Screwdriver in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

what do you mean?

I mean the correct procedure to torque a fastening as I was taught it is to progressively tighten through fractions of the final torque waiting for the material to relax between each tightening. Then re applying the final torque a second time after again waiting for a time to allow the material to relax again.

So for example the tightening torque for an M10 8.8 BZP steel set screw is 44NM, so you would tighten to 22NM then wait for say 15mins then do 44NM then wait again and then do a final 44NM

Or the head bolts on a 300tdi engine are 60NM then 60degrees twice
So you do 20NM, wait, then 40NM, wait, then 60NM, then go and have lunch, then 60NM again then wait. Then you tighten by 60degrees, wait and then the final 60degrees.

I haven't had it recalibrated yet, but as I mentioned in my post, I'm aware I should. This one is not due yet, think the advised period is a year. Dare say someone will come up monthly torque driver calibration device. Sounds like a niche in the market!

Given how much use? these things work at such small torque values it doesn't take much for them to be way out of calibration, this then leads to the problem that regular calibration is needed with torque calibration testers being expensive to own and third party calibration costing £40 a time doing this on a regular basis is going to be prohibitive

As I bought I'll use it, don't know what other people do with their purchases. My assessor never checked the existence of my driver, as I posted

So you have a screwdriver how would you prove you actually used it is asked

I think you should start planning your exit strategy, cos I can see it being implemented in some form, in the 18th. Hopefully, I'll be retired by then.

Again they can ask me to use one how do they prove I haven't how would I prove I have

Worse than a standard screwdriver as people will think that it's tight when it's not!

Or it could be overtightened

Watch out, telectrix will think your on about a cocktail :)

I own the Whia torque screwdriver set. I like it for the ends etc, but I'll be honest, the problem with saying do it up to xNm is fine, but if you just apply the rule with no common sense, it snaps conductors, so you cannot do it up that tight.

So if the cable manufacturers suggested a maximum clamping pressure for a conductor and the CU manufacturer suggests torque value for their terminals which one would take precedence if they were very different

on breakers yes, fine as they have a clamp as it were, but anything where the screw touches the conductor, you need to just use your head.

What torque is your head set to :smiley2::smiley2:

Thats very true, however how I use it on breakers is to do them all up to what I would deem to be a good tightness then run over them all with the torque screwdriver and usually they don't take much to click.

Would seem to be a waste of time using a torque driver with that method unless you back them off and re tighten them, reminds me of the guy in the tyre bay blasts the nuts back on with the impact wrench and then tests the torque wrench to make sure it clicks on the over tightened nuts got upset when I asked him to try again and do it properly

Last edited:
Yes yes I agree and yes... They are all valid points.

Dave, I never just tighten stuff to the balls first go, as said before, stuff gets tightened loosely so to speak then double checked to tighten properly later so yes it's got an interval, but for small CSA cables, I don't see anyone waiting say 10 mins to tighten it up in a consumer unit. Yes ok, with large conductors, you should really make good practise of it.

• quote_icon.png
    Originally Posted by Midwest
    on breakers yes, fine as they have a clamp as it were, but anything where the screw touches the conductor, you need to just use your head.

What torque is your head set to :smiley2::smiley2:
I don't remember saying that?

God these multi quote things, I'll try me best

Given how much use? these things work at such small torque values it doesn't take much for them to be way out of calibration, this then leads to the problem that regular calibration is needed with torque calibration testers being expensive to own and third party calibration costing £40 a time doing this on a regular basis is going to be prohibitive

​You have a valid point, how long is a piece of string. Buy disposable torque screwdriver? Or just keep the thing to flash at me assessor?

So you have a screwdriver how would you prove you actually used it is asked

I haven't got to prove anything, they just asked me if I got one.

Again they can ask me to use one how do they prove I haven't how would I prove I have

A double bluff, that will confuse them

There all done, not doing another.

Reply to Torque Screwdriver in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock