Discuss transformers/dimmer in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

assuming that each lamp is 50watts, then you are loading a 105 watt tranny with 150watts a 35-105 tranny should be 1 tranny for 1 downlight.

Last edited:
I forgot to say it is a double dimmer the other half of the dimmer works fine and serves an ordinary lightbulb.

I installed a two gang dimmer yesterday. One side worked fine and the other didn't. After deciding it was faulty, being a qualified sparks I decided to poke it with my (1000v insulated vde) screwdriver.
This is no word of a lie. It sparked, made a popping noise and caught fire. It looked like magnesium burning. I turned it off put a 2g switch on and I'll be going back in the week to replace it.

Call a qualified sparks!!

dimmers, the scourge of my life. should be put with the neons under the hammer.

I installed a two gang dimmer yesterday. One side worked fine and the other didn't. After deciding it was faulty, being a qualified sparks I decided to poke it with my (1000v insulated vde) screwdriver.
This is no word of a lie. It sparked, made a popping noise and caught fire. It looked like magnesium burning. I turned it off put a 2g switch on and I'll be going back in the week to replace it.

Call a qualified sparks!!

If I do, I won't be calling you.

If I do, I won't be calling you.

Faulty switch can hardly be helped mate, And the fact that you've been playing about with your electrics putting lives at risk because you don't wanna spend any money on a professional means I doubt I'd wanna touch it anyway

Yes, agree, presumption is as good as don't know, so in that case, I do not know.

I shall replace dimmer with on off switch. If that does not work, it is over to the pro.
Looks like we have exhausted the subject. Thanks for all your help.

dunno about the subject, but i'm exhausted. time for a beer.

If you're going to carry on without test equipment then all you can do is replace the dimmer with a normal light switch. If everything works then the dimmer is faulty.

Problem is if the dimmer is faulty you need to find out why otherwise you're going to replace it and the new one could be damaged for the same reason. This brings it full circle back to needing test equipment so I would advise phoning your favorite electrician.

Reply to transformers/dimmer in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock