Discuss Trying To Identify Wires in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Putting in a new garage sub panel, but none of the wires pulled to the garage were marked. There are three #8 wires, 2 hot and a neutral. The hots are on a 2 pole breaker. If I turn the breaker on and test for voltage, the neutral should not be hot. My question is, can I remove one of the wires from the 2 pole breaker, turn it back on, and then identify the hot wire as A or B phase?

Yes, in theory, although depending on the tester, the capacitive coupling to the disconnected hot might make it appear live, or partially live also.

Please note that this is a UK forum and we have different systems, materials and working practices. We only have the one hot and neutral in domestic panels, and identifying cables etc is always done with the supply isolated, using a low voltage continuity tester or multimeter. Testing anything with the AC line power on, when it is not strictly necessary, is contrary to our safety rules. I would recommend that you switch off, disconnect the wires, ground each one in turn at one end and search for the grounded wire at the other end with a continuity test or low ohms range.

Yes, in theory, although depending on the tester, the capacitive coupling to the disconnected hot might make it appear live, or partially live also.

Please note that this is a UK forum and we have different systems, materials and working practices. We only have the one hot and neutral in domestic panels, and identifying cables etc is always done with the supply isolated, using a low voltage continuity tester or multimeter. Testing anything with the AC line power on, when it is not strictly necessary, is contrary to our safety rules. I would recommend that you switch off, disconnect the wires, ground each one in turn at one end and search for the grounded wire at the other end with a continuity test or low ohms range.
Many thanks!

It nice to know how America family gets on with the electrics over the pound , i need to find out whichs hot and whichs cold on wiring , over hear we call it line and line and cpc.
To you its live and nuetral and earth
and if you get electrcuted you will be burided in it ,lol.

It nice to know how America family gets on with the electrics over the pound , i need to find out whichs hot and whichs cold on wiring , over hear we call it line and line and cpc.
To you its live and nuetral and earth
and if you get electrcuted you will be burided in it ,lol.
Buzz I call it phase to phase and phase to ground when I’m measuring voltage. I can’t speak for other electricians

Putting in a new garage sub panel, but none of the wires pulled to the garage were marked. There are three #8 wires, 2 hot and a neutral. The hots are on a 2 pole breaker. If I turn the breaker on and test for voltage, the neutral should not be hot. My question is, can I remove one of the wires from the 2 pole breaker, turn it back on, and then identify the hot wire as A or B phase?
Mike did you get your wires sorted out ?

Reply to Trying To Identify Wires in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock