Currently reading:
TT earth rod to shed or non connected garage..advice please

Discuss TT earth rod to shed or non connected garage..advice please in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Just because a service water or gas pipe enters a building in plastic doesn't mean that the rest of the internal metal pipework will not be extraneous. Depending on the construction method of the building (especially concrete framed c/w concrete floors and ceilings) as well as the installation of the pipework, these metal pipes can very easily pick up extraneous potentials from the buildings fabric. That's why you should always test and not assume anything, even when the incoming supply pipes are in plastic....

Indeed, a building's metal pipwork may be extraneous, even if supplied via a plastic incoming pipe. This raises the question, at what point should it be bonded? The requirement to bond close to the point at which the supply enters the building would appear to be irrelevant, as that's not the point at which the external potential is being introduced. In fact it may be impossible to determine why the pipework is extraneous without disconnecting sections for testing.

I recon this happens quite frequently with, say, a plastic water supply and metal gas supply pipe. The water pipes may test as extraneous, but only because they're connected to ground via the boiler and gas pipe. In which case, I would say that only one main bond is required, where the gas pipe enters.

Hmmmm, now i wonder how the DNO's manage to provide all those Protective Multiple Earths in PME and even the TNC-S installations?? And NO, TNC-S isn't the same as PME!!

TT earth (rods mats, tapes etc) can be mixed with ANY of the TN earth systems, (TN-S, TNC-S, PME). It is not recommended that TN systems are mixed!!

Ignore anything a NICEIC spokesman states without confirmation from a known trusted source (that you'd be better off seeking in the first place anyway) .... Oh and it is now acceptable to use a domestic PME supply for car charging points!!
Thanks for your reply, he only did the charging point course last week and thats when he was told must use an earth rod and not the house earth. Was also told you must inform the DNO of every point you put in so they can keep a check on their loadings.

Thanks for your reply, he only did the charging point course last week and thats when he was told must use an earth rod and not the house earth. Was also told you must inform the DNO of every point you put in so they can keep a check on their loadings.

They originally came out with all the scaremongering about using PME supplies, but as far as i know have backed down and now allow PME supply sources to be utilised....

I don't understand why the DNO need to be informed about a car charging point being installed at a domestic residence on the basis of loadings?? Do you need to inform them if you install a storage heater, or two?? NOPE!!!

Are they going to refuse or deny the homeowner the right to charge a battery driven car from his household supply now?? lol!!

They originally came out with all the scaremongering about using PME supplies, but as far as i know have backed down and now allow PME supply sources to be utilised....

I don't understand why the DNO need to be informed about a car charging point being installed at a domestic residence on the basis of loadings?? Do you need to inform them if you install a storage heater, or two?? NOPE!!!

Are they going to refuse or deny the homeowner the right to charge a battery driven car from his household supply now?? lol!!
Yes we both said that same sort of thing about telling the DNO, maybe they are worried about loadings with the government trying to push charging points but your main house supply will only allow a maximum load anyway so i cant see the point.

It doesn't matter how many charging points there are installed, they aren't going to add any load until you plug a car in to it.
Now how many people have got a battery powered car to plug in to one of these things?

And why do they need a special socket to charge it from?

Regarding the lightning conductors its not something i have ever done myself but was told that you must never connect a TNCS and an earth rod (TT) earth together because if a fault develops on the supply side into the building it can use your PME system down along the earth rod for its fault path.
Would you like a ladder in there?

Attachments

• digging-a-hole.jpg
    230.3 KB · Views: 66
Oh bugger! Yesterday I installed a few extra sockets for an old lady and 2 outside lights for a neighbour. Best get on to the DNO then to let them know about these potentially massive extra loads then.
Who's been telling you this load of old crap mate?

Oh bugger! Yesterday I installed a few extra sockets for an old lady and 2 outside lights for a neighbour. Best get on to the DNO then to let them know about these potentially massive extra loads then.

WORSE!
I'm going to report you to the NICEIC and The Council.

You're going down!!!

Oh please! Not the Part P Police! Anything but that! I did all the proper tests and certs and I am properly qualified!
I swear I've never stacked shelves in Tesco or any other supermarket, I've never been in IT. All I've ever been is an electrician and now I'll be dragged off for "re-education" in a gulag style training centre!
Goodbye cruel world
:)

It was an electrician I work with a lot was on a car charging point course last week and was the NIC instructor that told them they must inform the DNO every time they install a charge point.

It was an electrician I work with a lot was on a car charging point course last week and was the NIC instructor that told them they must inform the DNO every time they install a charge point.
A training course ran by the enemy. Good grief I wonder how much they stiffed your mate out of for that. Did he get a nice shiny bit of paper that he can proudly show the world and some nice stickers for his van (As you can probably tell I'm not a great admirer of NIC)
As I understand it these electric vehicle charging points are on a 32 amp supply so if we apply the same "logic" if I install a new 32A RFC in a building then I should be informing the DNO.
See what I mean about the NIC talking a load of crap?

A training course ran by the enemy. Good grief I wonder how much they stiffed your mate out of for that. Did he get a nice shiny bit of paper that he can proudly show the world and some nice stickers for his van (As you can probably tell I'm not a great admirer of NIC)
As I understand it these electric vehicle charging points are on a 32 amp supply so if we apply the same "logic" if I install a new 32A RFC in a building then I should be informing the DNO.
See what I mean about the NIC talking a load of crap?
He isn't with the NIC he uses elecsa but it probably more a way they can keep a register of charge points so either the DNO or government can tax you for charging your car in the future.

Dogwind sounds about right, or bull****, either is correct for this thread lmao
Oh mate you are so witty and obviously extremely funny you are wasted as an electrician when there is space for more stand up comedians. I could hardly read the writing with the tears of laughter running down my face. Keep up the good work you must be doing.

Oh mate you are so witty and obviously extremely funny you are wasted as an electrician when there is space for more stand up comedians. I could hardly read the writing with the tears of laughter running down my face. Keep up the good work you must be doing.
Cheers, I am glad you have a sence of humour, not many wanabees have.

Reply to TT earth rod to shed or non connected garage..advice please in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back