• IMPORTANT: The thread you're reading / posting in, could be in a DIY electrical advice area. Please be aware of your local laws. You're not allowed to provide advice to, or seek advice from, DIYers and fellow professionals in some States, Countries, Countys etc with regards to some types of electrical installations or repairs. Keep that in mind. If it's against the law where you are - always get a professional electrician in to carry out the works instead of doing it yourself. The forum will not be held responsible for any outcome of any applications of any advice sought from it.

Discuss Tumble dryer extension plug melted. in the DIY Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Six years ago, I had a double socket installed in my store room. This was placed next to the fuse box and its purpose was so I could connect my tumble dryer.

The socket was too far away from the dryer, so I bought some 1.5mm flex and wired in an extension from the newly installed double socket, to where my dryer was installed. Length of the flex would be 2 metres. The flex is tacked along the wall and connected to a 1 gang socket (screwed onto the wall) which has the tumble dryer plugged in.

Everything worked fine until today.

I was using the dryer and noticed the plug on my extension was extremely hot. Opening the plug, I noticed it was burning near to the fuse. It was all brown.

The dryer plug, which is plugged into the extension, was not hot and that plug is okay (although it is molded so cannot see inside).

I have checked the 1.5mm flex, and the 1 gang socket which I connected to the flex, and there does not seem to be any damage.

I have put a new plug on the extension and left the dryer running, with me being there, in case the new plug got hot and started to melt.

All the way through the dryer in use, which was around 30 mins, the plug did get warm (which I would expect from something using nearly 3 kW) but nothing which I would say was a concern.

The circuit, which this plug socket was installed, has a RCD, but it did not trip.

So, I am trying to work out why the original plug melted? Suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.
 
Wetroom Store - Network Wetroom Suppliers
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

SparkyChick

Mod
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
You must be logged in to see the message.
 

SparkyChick

Mod
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
You must be logged in to see the message.
 

telectrix

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
You must be logged in to see the message.
 
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #12
You must be logged in to see the message.
 

Pete999

-
Arms
Esteemed
You must be logged in to see the message.
 
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #18
You must be logged in to see the message.
 
You must be logged in to see the message.
 
Aico 3000 Range
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Reply to Tumble dryer extension plug melted. in the DIY Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Top Bottom