Discuss Tumble dryer extension plug melted. in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Six years ago, I had a double socket installed in my store room. This was placed next to the fuse box and its purpose was so I could connect my tumble dryer.

The socket was too far away from the dryer, so I bought some 1.5mm flex and wired in an extension from the newly installed double socket, to where my dryer was installed. Length of the flex would be 2 metres. The flex is tacked along the wall and connected to a 1 gang socket (screwed onto the wall) which has the tumble dryer plugged in.

Everything worked fine until today.

I was using the dryer and noticed the plug on my extension was extremely hot. Opening the plug, I noticed it was burning near to the fuse. It was all brown.

The dryer plug, which is plugged into the extension, was not hot and that plug is okay (although it is molded so cannot see inside).

I have checked the 1.5mm flex, and the 1 gang socket which I connected to the flex, and there does not seem to be any damage.

I have put a new plug on the extension and left the dryer running, with me being there, in case the new plug got hot and started to melt.

All the way through the dryer in use, which was around 30 mins, the plug did get warm (which I would expect from something using nearly 3 kW) but nothing which I would say was a concern.

The circuit, which this plug socket was installed, has a RCD, but it did not trip.

So, I am trying to work out why the original plug melted? Suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

It was probably a poorly manufactured plug top and changing it should sort it out. I personally would have used 2.5mm flex for the extension lead as tumble driers are hungry beasts.

If you have the plug, post a picture of it please :)

If it melted around the pin itself, then it's likely down to a bad connection between the plug and the socket, would most likely be accompanied by browning of the socket around the pin. If it's melted the plug top (may also melt the pin), it could be a loose connection around the area of the melting. So, if the area around the fuse terminal that connects to the live has melted, it could be a loose fuse clip, which wouldn't be that uncommon, especially if it's been in use for a long time, the normal thermal cycling can cause the spring clip to loose tension.

Tumble dryer extension plug melted. {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

The fault is the fuse clip was loose.

If the flex shows no signs of heat damage, putting a new plug on it (buy a good quality one) should see it back in use with no ill effects.

A 3 core flex clipped direct should be able to handle 17.5A. It will get warm, but not excessively so. So, as @Rpa07 has said a better choice would have been a heavy duty extension using 2.5mm flex.

I appreciate the time you have spent and am glad, in the grand scale of things, it was nothing serious - although glad I caught it.

I will replace the extension with the higher grade cable.
and fit a decent quality plug. the 1.5mm cable is fine though. you dryer takes around 10A (when heating). 1.5mm is good for 18A. it's the plug/socket connections that cause problems.

Six years ago, I had a double socket installed in my store room. This was placed next to the fuse box and its purpose was so I could connect my tumble dryer.

The socket was too far away from the dryer, so I bought some 1.5mm flex and wired in an extension from the newly installed double socket, to where my dryer was installed. Length of the flex would be 2 metres. The flex is tacked along the wall and connected to a 1 gang socket (screwed onto the wall) which has the tumble dryer plugged in.

Everything worked fine until today.

I was using the dryer and noticed the plug on my extension was extremely hot. Opening the plug, I noticed it was burning near to the fuse. It was all brown.

The dryer plug, which is plugged into the extension, was not hot and that plug is okay (although it is molded so cannot see inside).

I have checked the 1.5mm flex, and the 1 gang socket which I connected to the flex, and there does not seem to be any damage.

I have put a new plug on the extension and left the dryer running, with me being there, in case the new plug got hot and started to melt.

All the way through the dryer in use, which was around 30 mins, the plug did get warm (which I would expect from something using nearly 3 kW) but nothing which I would say was a concern.

The circuit, which this plug socket was installed, has a RCD, but it did not trip.

So, I am trying to work out why the original plug melted? Suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Tumble dryers has to have there on circuit, that could have been a fire instead of melting the cord. You have to understand that electrical builds up heat if not wired properly

Tumble dryers has to have there on circuit, that could have been a fire instead of melting the cord. You have to understand that electrical builds up heat if not wired properly

Yes, there could have been a fire - and I caught it before that happened. As it had worked perfectly for 6 years, I am sure that if there was anything dangerous, things would have happened much earlier than they did. Others have agreed with the person who said that the fuse had become loose in the plug. That is where the fault was. Putting on a new "decent" plug has solved the problem.

Tumble dryers do not need their own circuit, otherwise electric fan heaters, dishwashers, etc, would also need their own circuits.

Yes, there could have been a fire - and I caught it before that happened. As it had worked perfectly for 6 years, I am sure that if there was anything dangerous, things would have happened much earlier than they did. Others have agreed with the person who said that the fuse had become loose in the plug. That is where the fault was. Putting on a new "decent" plug has solved the problem.

Tumble dryers do not need their own circuit, otherwise electric fan heaters, dishwashers, etc, would also need their own circuits.
Maybe Megawatt is speaking of US dryers they are quite large and most US Dryers and W/Ms are on their own supply I believe, just saying.

Reply to Tumble dryer extension plug melted. in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock