Discuss Twin and earth used as meter tails in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
So i went to a job and i came across this the house is 19yrs old and apparently this is how it was when they moved in from when it was built its the twin and earth that runs to the consumer unit I am looking at there is some 10mm earth to the gas meter that has been fitted at a later date.Twin and earth used as meter tails 20200613_145949 - EletriciansForums.net

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, it is quite common (as far as houses that have longer than usual tails that is) but not something I would say is good practice due to the usual lack of physical protection along the sort of route often taken.

Yes, it is quite common (as far as houses that have longer than usual tails that is) but not something I would say is good practice due to the usual lack of physical protection along the sort of route often taken.
The meter is only2mts from it I am going to drop some 16mm earth from the consumer unit to the met

The meter is only2mts from it I am going to drop some 16mm earth from the consumer unit to the met

Why are you going to install a 16mm earth?
[automerge]1592079514[/automerge]
I thought I read that if it's a longer run your supposed to use SWA?

Nope, there is nothing that stipulates cables over any particular length need to be SWA.

Meter tails cannot be longer then 3m so a distribution circuit must be installed if the CU is further than this.
[automerge]1592079604[/automerge]
Just wondering if anyone else had seen any thing like it

Yes, lots of times, the exposed insulation is not acceptable but other than that if it is of suitable size and less than 3m it complies.

Can’t remember the table number off the top of me head mate but it’s in 7671 for main earth sizing or as above use the adibatic....I’d go with 7671 for design selection but do the adibatic if unsure of someone else’s work ?.......

Hi the 16mm earth is that not the std main earth size from a consumer unit to the DNO MET forgive me if i am wrong

For a new installation yes that is standard but for an existing installation you need to assess the suitablity of what is already installed.
Only a cowboy would charge a customer for an 'upgrade' when the existing installation is not unsafe.
[automerge]1592088004[/automerge]
Hi Mate am i a correct thinking that a 16mm earth is correct i just can not see that the cpc in a bit of twin and earth is adequate

Have you carried out the calculation using the adiabatic equation in BS7671?
Generally speaking the 6mm earthing conductor you have is more than adequate as long as it does not need to perform the function of a main bond (which it doesn't appear to here since the bonding connects directly to the cutout)

Hi Dave can i point out that i would not charge the people for a bit is cable that is in the van and 10mins of my time as i was there doing something else its not about charging someone

Ah, so it's a free of charge, potentially unnecessary upgrade?

So you can tell the customer that you have given them a free upgrade thus improving their safety when in reality you have potentially done unnecessary work.

Reply to Twin and earth used as meter tails in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock