Discuss Twin&earth and SWA installed loose on floor in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi All,
The contractor working for Magnet Kitchens at my brother's house has run the sockets ring in 2.5 T&E, plus an SWA for the cooker supply, by laying these cables on the floor under the units.
I'm fairly sure this isn't acceptable - at least these cables should be clipped up against the wall (shouldn't they?).
We had actually expected the cables to be chased into the wall before the units were fitted, but they've done the electricals and plumbing after the fitout...
Any thoughts or comments? Many thanks.

View attachment DSC00402.JPG

Hi All,
The contractor working for Magnet Kitchens at my brother's house has run the sockets ring in 2.5 T&E, plus an SWA for the cooker supply, by laying these cables on the floor under the units.
I'm fairly sure this isn't acceptable - at least these cables should be clipped up against the wall (shouldn't they?).
We had actually expected the cables to be chased into the wall before the units were fitted, but they've done the electricals and plumbing after the fitout...
Any thoughts or comments? Many thanks.

View attachment 43553
Yeeha, why SWA how has he terminated the SWA at the CU and CCU?

I have often run cables in flexi conduit under kitchen units, using saddles to keep it in place, it saves chasing the wall out for various bits. once the units are back its unlikely to get damaged. That being said that in your pic looks a bit rough, at very least it ought to be clipped to the wall or be put in some trunking. what will be going in the gap in your pic? washing machine?

Yeeha, why SWA how has he terminated the SWA at the CU and CCU?
SWA was used so they could cross the kitchen without digging up the floor - it goes out of the CU (suspect without an SWA gland), through the wall, around the outside of the property, through the wall and into an isolator inside the cupboard next to the cooker

SWA was used so they could cross the kitchen without digging up the floor - it goes out of the CU (suspect without an SWA gland), through the wall, around the outside of the property, through the wall and into an isolator inside the cupboard next to the cooker
So nil glands? they have used T&E as well so again why SWA? the excuse they gave given is a poor excuse, have they provided any certificates for the electrical work? would love to see that, so it's very doubtful, from the information and pictures it looks like a real Cowboy Job, was the fitter's name Kevin or Buffalo Bill, cuz he sure as heck wasn't an electrician.
If as you say the contractor worked for a reputable Kitchen supplier, then this electrical butchery should be brought to their eattention, I would imagine (no proof of course) the kitchen outfit belong to one of the CPS schemes, NICEIC etc no idea which one, they need to be contacted as well, I had a new kitchen fitted some years back, and when I aske the fitter how he would do the electrics, he was going to crimp the joints and bury them in the wall, he got short shift from yours truly, and I did it myself, Wifey didn't want any trouble, so I left the complaining alone, a mistake on my part, take these Butchers to task, trading standards, check a trade or whatever one they belong to, get some payback, crikey what a bodge job, makes you wonder how many innocent house holders are conned by these charlatans.

Last edited:
The job hasn't been signed off or certified yet. Anyway, I'm advising that my brother shouldn't accept this work.
The contractor was going to do the external run in T&E until my brother (a civil engineer by profession) insisted that SWA be used.

I'm dubious about the rating of the SWA too. It is less than 15mm external diameter (outside the jacket around the armour). Is that likely to be the 6sqmm or 10sqmm conductors required for a cooker supply?

Its not pretty running cables loosely like that, but would you expect the cables to be run in the ceiling void if it was rewired.

I normally run the cables in trunking in that service void, but I do that before the floor units are fitted, so bit difficult in this case. That said, a bit of trunking across this unit, would tidy things up.

I'm dubious about the rating of the SWA too. It is less than 15mm external diameter (outside the jacket around the armour). Is that likely to be the 6sqmm or 10sqmm conductors required for a cooker supply?

The cable conductor size etc, should be embossed on the sheathing.

Edit; swa has a higher ccc for an equivalent tw&e

debatable. the cables are supported by the floor. they are not where they are liable to sustain mechanical damage. maybe compliant, but not good practice.

edit: did not see the pic before. that is dog rough. get them back. as advised before, some trunking would tidy it up. and running the SWA outside is just a lazy way of not doing it properly.

You need to ask the Kitchen company for an Electrical Installation certificate for the work done, post it on this forum for consultation.

run the sockets ring in 2.5 T&E, plus an SWA for the cooker supply, by laying these cables on the floor under the units.
could have put it in trunking,
debatable. the cables are supported by the floor. they are not where they are liable to sustain mechanical damage. maybe compliant, but not good practice.

edit: did not see the pic before. that is dog rough. get them back. as advised before, some trunking would tidy it up. and running the SWA outside is just a lazy way of not doing it properly.
dam, beaten by Teletext.:D

I would just add, that that pic is obviously where a free standing appliance slides in & out, which during such could result in those cables being damaged. They should be clipped to the wall out of the way, or placed in trunking, as I suggested, then telectrix suggested followed lastly by buzz, who spelt tels name wrong :)

A bit rough BUT most kitchen companies allow the subcontractors a fixed price to do the work, often not enough, so corners are well and truly cut

Reply to Twin&earth and SWA installed loose on floor in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock