Discuss UK Wiring 2 Gang Switch - Sonoff WiFi Switch in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

rbsubef

DIY
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have recently purchased a 2 Gang Sonoff WiFi Switch to replace my old 2 gang switch.
My old switch controls 2 set of lights, one is outside house and one is inside in the hall.
I have read online that in UK one needs to have an Neutral to be able to successfully use these Smart Switch. When I opened the existing switch wiring I can see one Red and 3 Black (one Black is bundle or 3 wires).
Now I understand these are old wiring and not as per UKs latest coding standards, but thing I dont understand is if I have Neutral wire here? The Red wire which is Live is connected to L2 and the budled black wire is connected to COM (Common). The other 2 black wires are connected to L2 & COM respectively.
The new sonoff switch has arrangement as Neutral, Live, L2 & L1 and I want to understand what goes where? specially the Neutral (If I have one).
Appreciate your advice on this and thanks in advance.
rb

Can you show a pic of the existing switch wiring.

I doubt any of those wires are neutral, even the black ones.

Reactions: DPG
I doubt any of those wires are neutral, even the black ones.
Thanks for quick reply. Is there any way one can identify a Neutral? When I Power on the switch it turns on ok, but as soon as I engage the switch my RCD trips.
So assuming there is no neutral then I guess this switch will not work!.

Are there any other wires in the switch back box.

I agree with @westward10
also, one of the wires (black near bottom of picture and passing behind other black) looks as though it might be damaged and have live parts exposed.
or it could be a cobweb.

Are there any other wires in the switch back box.
No other wires! just these which are visible!
[automerge]1578934053[/automerge]
I agree with @westward10
also, one of the wires (black near bottom of picture and passing behind other black) looks as though it might be damaged and have live parts exposed.
or it could be a cobweb.
It is just the dirt, but thanks for highlighting!

Would have been helpful to have a photo of the connections before anything was disconnected.

that’s a lot of blacks at a switch when there’s not many reds??
Twin cable with 2 blacks? Or black single- and-earths?

The black in the new switch was connected to COM at the old switch.

Reply to UK Wiring 2 Gang Switch - Sonoff WiFi Switch in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net