Search the forum,

Discuss Unable to run cables at a sufficient depth outside in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Either the gate company is shafting you or the end customer is shafting you Both.

either way the gate company employed you. They owe you.

have you ever worked for the gate company before?

may be worth looking into there past reputation.
Ok thanks. First time I have worked for the company and I do think they are trying to blame me

I assume you have invoiced the gate company and the invoice states the payment terms, pay when payed is not allowed under the JCT form of contract which set the president in the construction industry, test case about twelve years ago.
I did invoice the driveway company, but my payment terms are probably very limited. Where can I find out more about the terms you’ve mentioned?

The "Joint Contract Tribunal" or the "Department of Trade and Industry" both have set the standards by which all contracts in the UK are assessed by the courts whether verbal or written, or just the contract terms that both parties should adhere too if no formal contract is drawn up.

I guess you mean 550mm? 5.5m is quite a dig!

In any case there is no specific requirement on depth for private land, only that it has to be adequately safe from any likely activities. Even for the electricity supply utilities like SSE putting in large non-RCD protected cables the depth depends on the land use so 45cm for footpath, 60cm for public road (carriageway), and 1m for arable land (i.e. ploughed field).

Given it is in concrete and so not going to be accidentally hit by a gardening spade, etc, I would say it is suitably protected.

Was anything specified in any contract or quote?
Regulation 522.8.10 basically says as long as it’s buried in a way that prevents damage with indication tape it’s fine .you need to get your regs book and shove it in the smart arses face

Regulation 522.8.10 basically says as long as it’s buried in a way that prevents damage with indication tape it’s fine .you need to get your regs book and shove it in the smart arses face
3A9ADE3F-8B75-44C5-BCCD-76070F4AF256.jpeg

Have you spoken to the end customer about the issue to check it's actually them that's complaining?

I had a main contractor try to stiff my previous employer claiming their client didn't pay. When we checked with the client they had paid, up front, and were quite happy with everything we'd done.

Reply to Unable to run cables at a sufficient depth outside in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net