Discuss Simple question regarding Non RCD protected SWA run from CU in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

ZEDEZ

-
Reaction score
As the title suggests, I'm running a submain. The space in which I have to work at the supply end is extremely limited though.

The CU at the supply where the SWA needs to terminate is mounted on the inside of the external wall in the porch. Ideally, I'd just run the SWA through the wall and up into the CU, but as I said space is tight. It would be far easier for me to terminate the SWA into an adaptable box on the outside of the external wall and run a short length of T&E directly through the wall into or just below the CU on the other side (which is adjacent).

Technically this would mean there is an extremely short length of cable running through the wall at less than 50mm (which would suggest a need for RCD protection if we're only looking at the OSG). Lets look at the regulation concerned:

Reg 522.6.202:

"A cable installed in a wall or partition at a depth of less that 50mm from the surface of the wall shall ... comply with regulation 522.6.204"

Which states

"be provided with mechanical protection against damage sufficient to prevent penetration of the cable by nails, screws, and the like ..."

I can't see that a 100mm length of T&E running though and perpendicular to the wall, where the cable can be seen entering and exiting from either side, would ever be at risk at having a nail or screw damage it ...

Thoughts?

Last edited:
A cable going through a wall directly behind an accessory would not fall under "installed at a depth less than 50mm" IMO.

Why connect a piece of T+E to it ? Just gland into a box of your choice and run the cable inner through the wall. If you want to keep the metal containment/armouring aspect of the cable run continuous then pass the cable through a metal conduit where it penetrates the wall.

Reply to Simple question regarding Non RCD protected SWA run from CU in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net