Discuss Unable to run cables at a sufficient depth outside in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I discussed this with both the customer and driveway company. I laid the cable and installed the electric gates and intercom. Job done. This when the customer had a fall out with the driveway company and said the cable was not deep enough.
I suspect this customer would say the driveway it too narrow or too wide, the gates are in the wrong position or the wrong colour as well as the cable being the wrong depth.

This is someone who probably had no intention of paying anyone.
If he's not paying the driveway company I suspect he'll come home one day and the driveway will be gone.

Ask him / her to provide expert evidence of the cable being the wrong depth, if you're subbing to the driveway contractor it's for them to ask the customer.

Were you contracted to the customer or the gate company to do the work?
I was Contracted by the driveway company. But they are saying the customer is not paying for the gates as they say it doesn’t meet regulations. So the driveway company is blaming me. Even though I have explain that I have done it correctly. It’s so stressful and I suffer with my mental anyway, this really doesn’t help?. I’m even now doubting my abilities

Can the customer quote a specific regulation it fails to meet? I mean the actual part of the wiring or building regulations? None of the folk here can see a big problem with it, as Julie points out the regs allow SWA on the top if it is not going to suffer mechanical damage.

I suspect they are taking the pi55 for some other reason. Had you got a digger in to put it 550mm down they would be complaining of damage to the driveway, etc.

Can the customer quote a specific regulation it fails to meet? I mean the actual part of the wiring or building regulations? None of the folk here can see a big problem with it, as Julie points out the regs allow SWA on the top if it is not going to suffer mechanical damage.

I suspect they are taking the pi55 for some other reason. Had you got a digger in to put it 550mm down they would be complaining of damage to the driveway, etc.
No they have not quoted any specific reg to me and I agree they are trying to pull a fast one and get out of paying me.

I’ve installed electric gates at a property.

One of the issues I’ve had is I was unable to bury the cables at a sufficient depth as this would have weakened the driveway. So, I laid an earthed SWA cable around the edge of the driveway and encased it in 5cm of concreate, marker tape over that and then the driveway on top of that. It’s also protected by an RCD.

Cost me a lot of money, but the customer refuses to pay me as they were told that the cables should be have been buried 550cm. I’ve tried to explain how I have provided equivalent protection against mechanical damage, but they are not budging.

I’d just like to get your thoughts on this and any advise

Many thanks

James
Ask yourself this question, did you do the work to the regs? is the work safe? in a court of law would the customer have reason to make you look a clown? have you any evidence at all that what you did was agreed in writing from the customer? do you feel proud of the work you carried out?

if you are happy to answer all these then crucify him, any doubt at all then your in a hole and the ladders will not get you out

As @pc1966 says, ask them nicely for a regulation number. If you meet them in person, take your BBB and OSG, hand them both to them and ask them to show you the regulation. Follow it up in writing giving them another, final chance to provide a reg number. Then issue the bill for payment without further delay
Thanks mate. They refuse to meet up with me, so I’ll right to them recorded letter asking them for the ref number. And explain how I’ll adhered to the regs
I suspect this customer would say the driveway it too narrow or too wide, the gates are in the wrong position or the wrong colour as well as the cable being the wrong depth.

This is someone who probably had no intention of paying anyone.
If he's not paying the driveway company I suspect he'll come home one day and the driveway will be gone.

Ask him / her to provide expert evidence of the cable being the wrong depth, if you're subbing to the driveway contractor it's for them to ask the customer.
ok thanks, it’s just the driveway company has little to no experience in electrics.

Ask yourself this question, did you do the work to the regs? is the work safe? in a court of law would the customer have reason to make you look a clown? have you any evidence at all that what you did was agreed in writing from the customer? do you feel proud of the work you carried out?

if you are happy to answer all these then crucify him, any doubt at all then your in a hole and the ladders will not get you out
I done the job to the best of my ability and was completely happy with the safety aspect of it. But some little demon on my shoulder is causing me to doubt things ?

There's no specific depth on private land and the installation method was agreed before hand. Even if there's no written contract or agreement verbal is good enough in this instance.

Invoice them, give them 28 days to pay. If they don't pay start recovery proceedings.

Don't mess about with customers as they will take the pi$$ out of you, this works both ways.

There was no documentation saying the cable must be buried 550mm in the gate installation manual.
you should be absolutely fine then lodge a small claims case and prepare your argument stating that the only requirements for burying a cable are at sufficient depth and since you've designed it you can state your case as to what you consider sufficient depth with regard to the protection offered by the concrete/ suitable marking and the new driveway over top.

I don't know if the small claims court does business-business disputes, but either way they have some guidance on what you have to have done before they will look at any claim. At the very least you have to have formally invoiced, etc.

you should be absolutely fine then lodge a small claims case and prepare your argument stating that the only requirements for burying a cable are at sufficient depth and since you've designed it you can state your case as to what you consider sufficient depth with regard to the protection offered by the concrete/ suitable marking and the new driveway over top

ok thanks, i'll look into this

Reply to Unable to run cables at a sufficient depth outside in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net