Discuss Understanding economy 7 in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Judd

-
Reaction score
Economy 7 horstmann quartz timeclocks for water heaters with dual elements, from my understanding they would require two separate supplies to work on a off peak supply and regular supply, although after looking inside one today and looking at diagrams only 1 supply is used. How is this possible?

Understanding economy 7 ECON7DOUBLE - EletriciansForums.net

There are two types of E7. One type has a controlled switch. This provides a separate supply at off peak times and requires a separate fuseboard for the off peak devices b

The other type has a dual rate meter that has only a single output. To take advantage of the cheaper cost electricity you need a timed device such as the Horstmann quartz.
It is designed so that the bottom immersion is only used at off peak times.

Thanks for your reply so in the picture I have shown it is the latter type you have described,
So all devices connected can benefit from economy 7 if used at off peak times?

Yes, good to get a tumble dryer/washing machine/diswasher with a timed start!

Edit. You can tell by the meter. It only has one line and neutral output.
The other type has a neutral and two line outputs (peak and off-peak) and two separate fuseboards.

Yes, good to get a tumble dryer/washing machine/diswasher with a timed start!

Edit. You can tell by the meter. It only has one line and neutral output.
The other type has a neutral and two line outputs (peak and off-peak) and two separate fuseboards.

I did notice on the meter a terminal inbetween the L out and N out that would probably only be large enough for a 6mm or 10mm cable? But it wasn't used.

Beware economy 7 prices - yes the night rate is lower, but the suppliers often charge more for the day rate ......... so unless you are using storage heaters, you may well end up paying more...

Also,beware suppliers who make 7 promises to fit said meter,send one fitter who does not understand a 4 pole isolator,finally fit correct meter after 5 months,lose all meter details,put them back with four different Mpan numbers,don't know what tariff applies or whether they want a shirt or a handshake....

So that's 5 months,5 compensation promises,7 resolution managers,1 ombudsman investigation,6 sets of fitters, 3/4" of paperwork and one 83 year old who has not missed a bill in 55 years of residence...:(:eek::rolleyes:

Small terminal is for switch wire from time switch or teleswitch to switch meter between low and normal rate, it is a switched neutral. The time switch has two switching circuits, one switches meter, other switches off peak load. Newer meters have no seperate time switch, it is built in to the meter, these are the ones with 2 outputs.

Small terminal is for switch wire from time switch or teleswitch to switch meter between low and normal rate, it is a switched neutral. The time switch has two switching circuits, one switches meter, other switches off peak load. Newer meters have no seperate time switch, it is built in to the meter, these are the ones with 2 outputs.
In the picture I have uploaded it looks like a teleswitch has been removed from the wall (paint is slightly off) yet the meter looks fairly old. Will this be switching over to off peak, or just running at the normal rate constantly.

Sorry hadn't looked at picture, I was wondering how you knew about the switching terminal on the meter, now I see illegally removed seals! Yes, it is only registering on normal rate, but you will still be charged at higher economy 7 daytime rate. That is your punishment.

Reply to Understanding economy 7 in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock