Currently reading:
Unexpected voltage on lighting circuit

Discuss Unexpected voltage on lighting circuit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

sparkinlee

I did a CU upgrade recently, and had a call back for the lighting rcbo tripping randomly.

It's a two floor flat in a converted house (probably '80s conversion) and has only two circuits - one for all the sockets and one for all the lights - and so in the new CU I installed one rcbo for each circuit. Circuits all tested fine for insulation resistance, continuity and Zs, but the lighting rcbo was tripping occasionally within a couple of days. I retested (circuit and rcbo) and all seemed fine, and it's been OK for about a month, until it tripped again yesterday and would not reset.

I went back this evening expecting to change a faulty rcbo but decided to run the circuit tests again too. I removed L&N from rcbo and went to do insulation resistance between them and the earth bar, and my tester objected that it was a live circuit. After removing the cpc from the earth bar my meter tells me that I have 220v between all conductors of the lighting circuit and the earth bar. Loop impedance between lighting live and earth bar is 80ohm, and hence (I suppose) I was not getting a shock when testing.

I assume that this must be an induced voltage from somewhere, but it's not from the socket ring main as the voltage was still there even with that circuit turned off too. I guess too that this is the cause of the tripping, but even if it's not it needs to be sorted.

I'm due back there tomorrow to try to trace the problem, but any hints as to where to start looking for what would be appreciated. The lighting circuit is looped in to the switches so it's not too hard to take the circuit apart to test individual cable segments, but that could be quite random unless I've got some sort of plan.

It could be random or it could be when a rarely used light is switched on. I managed to find a light that was using earth for the neutral on a recent CU change, only spotted it right at the very end when i was running around making sure everything worked.
See if you can reset with the socket rcbo off and / or remove socket neutrals from bar, just to see if there is a neutral borrowed from sockets

Hi
It sounds like you could be picking up induced voltage from a cable fault under the floor , ,you say this is a converted flat , its probably an intermittent fault when cables were pulled through the joists along with the neighbours wiring

...and the answer is... shared neutral with the flat above. It's all been OK for a month because that flat's been unoccupied, but someone moved in over the weekend and presumably started turning their lights on, and hence the tripping.

I've disconnected the neutral connection to the other flat so the rcbo is happy now, but I couldn't get an answer at the other flat to explain why their lights are not working. Hopefully a call back for another day...

Reply to Unexpected voltage on lighting circuit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock