Discuss unfused socket off sub meter in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

jeremy

-
Mentor
Arms
Reaction score
I've been asked to install a meter between a c32 breaker and a 32A commando socket. I questioned there not being a breaker between the meter and the outlet but got some unprofessional abuse from the electrical designer. I don't know for sure that it isn't right but it just doesn't seem right. Can't find anything in the OSG and don't have my BRB away with me. A suggestion has been that the meter may prevent the mcb from operating correctly. Has anyone any thoughts? Anything appreciated!

I have never heared anything about the meter not making the mcb work correctly (though I have been wrong before).
It sounds ok to me, but I would stick a double pole isolator before the meter.

thanks Johno, I'm not trying to prove the (obnoxious little **** ) guy wrong but breaker then meter then oulet doesn't ring true. But , whatever, it's not my design. I'm trying not to get too sensitive, but I'm still the installer and if I don't ask the questions, who will?

Last edited by a moderator:
Jeremy the use of swear words will not be tolerated on the forums.

Last edited:
I've been asked to install a meter between a c32 breaker and a 32A commando socket. I questioned there not being a breaker between the meter and the outlet but got some unprofessional abuse from the electrical designer. I don't know for sure that it isn't right but it just doesn't seem right. Can't find anything in the OSG and don't have my BRB away with me. A suggestion has been that the meter may prevent the mcb from operating correctly. Has anyone any thoughts? Anything appreciated!

im my opinion there is nothing wrong with having the mcb before the meter. The service fuse is before the meter. The mcb will work fine. I dont see how you think it wont.

Sorry didn't mean to use naughty words. didn't even realise i'd done it. apologies to all concerned. Just seemed a bit "different" not having any isolation between meter and outlet and upon asking the question being told in effect that he would see me on the following tuesday, irked me slightly. Hope it is kosher as i energised it on Wednesday. PS arrive in Belfast on Tuesday for about 6 weeks if anyone fancys a beer. haven't been back in 16 years and could do with some pointers.

Sorry didn't mean to use naughty words. didn't even realise i'd done it. apologies to all concerned. Just seemed a bit "different" not having any isolation between meter and outlet and upon asking the question being told in effect that he would see me on the following tuesday, irked me slightly. Hope it is kosher as i energised it on Wednesday. PS arrive in Belfast on Tuesday for about 6 weeks if anyone fancys a beer. haven't been back in 16 years and could do with some pointers.

No probs mate the forum has to be kept clean as it is a public site.

Might be able to go for a pint in a few weeks when im home for a long weekend.

Are you from Belfast then?

Reply to unfused socket off sub meter in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net