Discuss Updating qualifications from 1980s in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi folks

I completed my apprenticeship on the 14th edition and subsequently did a 15th update in the 1980s.
I have an approved electrician's grading from 1982 and am looking to get back in the saddle after a career in management. Can anyone point me at the right courses (and maybe providers) for the 18th wiring regs and inspection and testing etc. etc. please?

I have already booked on to the ECS health and safety assessment as, although one of my core responsibilities is management of health and safety, my company's in house courses are not recognised.

Thanks in advance, guys.

Trippy

I did much the same as you. I returned to the industry in 2013.

Having done very little testing previously, after a 30 year break, I did an Initial Inspecting & Testing course and the latest amendment to BS7671, purely for domestic work.

Whats your intended business model?

Hi Midwest
I've done limited domestic work in my career; some rewires and new installs for myself and friends and family mainly.
On the tools time was in commercial and industrial mainly with a lot of MICC back in the day plus BMS and fire systems.
More recently in hard and soft FM services but will be made redundant at some stage this year and want to get away from big corporate culture.
Looking to keep my options open at this stage but want to hit the ground running.
I'm looking at 2382-18 and 2391-52 (but doing a short refresher before the latter course); does that seem appropriate?

Hi Midwest
I've done limited domestic work in my career; some rewires and new installs for myself and friends and family mainly.
On the tools time was in commercial and industrial mainly with a lot of MICC back in the day plus BMS and fire systems.
More recently in hard and soft FM services but will be made redundant at some stage this year and want to get away from big corporate culture.
Looking to keep my options open at this stage but want to hit the ground running.
I'm looking at 2382-18 and 2391-52 (but doing a short refresher before the latter course); does that seem appropriate?
sounds good from my seat. just don't be overwhelmed by latest regs. it's same leccy, different colours. (plus a few things like RCDs and reams of cya paperwork).

sounds good from my seat. just don't be overwhelmed by latest regs. it's same leccy, different colours. (plus a few things like RCDs and reams of cya paperwork).
Thanks telectrix, I'm well used to the cya paperwork, believe me :rolleyes:
Still don't get what was wrong with red, yellow, blue for 3ph tho ;)

red/yellow/blue was a sensible choice. the 3 primary colours, signify danger. the stupid new colours signify confusion, all are grey in the dark. it's 1 of my pet hates, almost equal in hatred to metric and plumbers. ( I'll get to kitchen fitters after a few beers).

I didn’t do the 2391, purely because my knowledge of testing was limited, did the 2394 (think that’s the correct one) instead. If you peruse some threads on EICR’s, you’ll see there’s a lot of debate on coding, and inexperience of some inspectors.

You have to ask yourself whether you feel you have enough experience to do such work, and whether that fits in with your business model, what work do you intend to do?

You have to ask yourself whether you feel you have enough experience to do such work, and whether that fits in with your business model, what work do you intend to do?
I don't have any firm intentions just yet, I need to keep my options open for later this year but need to be prepared and qualified for any opportunities as they arise.

I don't have any firm intentions just yet, I need to keep my options open for later this year but need to be prepared and qualified for any opportunities as they arise.

Its your money and time, I don’t know your age, but you need to have some idea of your intentions, unless money is no limitation.

Reply to Updating qualifications from 1980s in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net