Discuss Using IEC cable under concrete floor in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello
I've been asked to supply power to the middle of an office floor to supply the table with power, only a small office but they don't want trip hazards but the don't want floor boxes so to keep there costs down for them instead of it being permanent in case they move I thought of chasing the floor out, bury the conduit and put a long IEC cable going from the wall socket through the conduit and the tail end connects to an IEC block screwed to the underneath of the desk. I can't find anything in the regs to suggest this is wrong but nothing to say I can it's mostly for permanent cabling can i have people's thoughts on this please.

Make sure there is no mechanical strain where the flex enters and exits the conduit.
Allow sufficient slack at the desk end, between the conduit exit and the sockets, so when the desks are moved in the future, the assembly is not damaged.
Ensure users are aware that it is no more than a 13A extension lead, as opposed to a bank of sockets with unlimited power to run fan heaters and whatever else.

Hello
I've been asked to supply power to the middle of an office floor to supply the table with power, only a small office but they don't want trip hazards but the don't want floor boxes so to keep there costs down for them instead of it being permanent in case they move I thought of chasing the floor out, bury the conduit and put a long IEC cable going from the wall socket through the conduit and the tail end connects to an IEC block screwed to the underneath of the desk. I can't find anything in the regs to suggest this is wrong but nothing to say I can it's mostly for permanent cabling can i have people's thoughts on this please.
Is it not possible to bring a supply in from above, that use to be a common practice.

Reply to Using IEC cable under concrete floor in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net