Discuss Van signage-yes or no? security/theft in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

MTI

times are hard and we are al/mostlyl struggling for work/new clients. if you are a one man band, is it worth the hassle of van signage against the risk of being broken into? the minute you write electrical or any trade on your van, imo you are askin for it. even all the lads i know who work for big firms, will not leave all their personal tools etc on a firms van. firms want maximum exposure but this advertises your tools too.
as a one man band, is it worth the risk of loosing the lot? you may loose work but not that much if you advertise correctly. i dont see many people writing down phone numbers from vans but i do see them calling the owner to ask them to move the vehicle.
i do have web presence and local phone books etc but whats your opinion guys? as another thread i just read, one job can pay for the hassle of posting flyers etc but it cant replace your tools and if it does, you need a big job with plenty of contingency added to the quote!
im really tempted to sign write my van but i live in a flat at the mo and have no garage. anyone similar? wherever you live, there are bad ones out there who will have your pants down if you blink! as they say, you dont s*** on your own door step and so they come to you from elsewhere! sorry for the rant but just been realistic

martin

Yeh, know where yer comin from, we have those magnetic van signs, due to the fact we sometimes sub-contract to larger companies as well as our own work, they won,t let us on there sites with our vans sign written then we take em off.

yes, im looking into the magnetic sort for me and two mates next week. think they are great idea and can be left on outside clients homes or other jobs etc.great way round it but just have to remember to remove them if left in a vunrable place/out of site. im thinkin on the lines that kids will have em off in no time! what sort of price and sizes are you taking for yours please johnnyb? new lad just opened a shop by me so will enquire but would appreciate any tips from anyone. may try vista print etc. its always good to personal recommendations. cheers, martin

Yeh MTI, we had am a long time mate, must be 10yrs + but if you do get em keep em dead flat when you are not using them cause they sort of bubble, then there is an air gap that you can,t shift on the van, they cost us £120 then so god knows now, it might be one of those where they were new then, and now a lot cheaper if you know what i mean.

Hi there, in a previous life I used to run a sign making company so I know all about magnetic signs.

Some useful points when asking for a quote.

Insist on 0.8mm rubber the cheaper 0.6 will not last as long.
If the background is other than white check quality of vinyl they use, some companies will sell you utter **** for top money. Always have a look at some of their work, their own van for instance; does the quality look good ? or is the lettering peeling off, not square, out of line etc. Making signs is not that hard but the majority of sign makers are complete ******s, I put them in the same basket as Estate Agents ! NO SWEARING

Things to do with them.

When not on the van store on a flat steel surface (side of filing cabinet etc without rivets) to keep them at their best.

Every few weeks remove them from vehicle and clean the back and front with care, with warm soapy water, also clean van sides. Particles of iron will find themselves stuck to van between panels and rust into paint along with scratching of paint.

If you have problems with distortion, not laying flat or turning up of the edges, fill the bath with very hot water and soak them for 5 mins then place on a clean flat surface until cool. (clean them first)

NEVER PLACE ON RADIATOR, OR CURVED SURFACE other than van side
Do not leave stuck to inside roof of van.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Van signage-yes or no? security/theft in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock