Discuss Virtual wiring practice in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

@Pete999 good call, isolating transformer stops you wiping out house electrics when doing rcd testing!

Now I am getting a bit worried about you doing this.... You know on the site transformer it has an outlet, so you plug in to that, then wire into say a garage unit. Or would that be a problem?

Now I am getting a bit worried about you doing this.... You know on the site transformer it has an outlet, so you plug in to that, then wire into say a garage unit. Or would that be a problem?
Nooo that's why I was confused.. I thought you said ignore the transformer... and just use some flex and a plug! That's fine wiring from the CU then to a plug.. understand now mate

Well I did say if you are really clever... I think if you are starting out practicing circuits, working out how to wire in a fault might be more confusing than doing a three way switching arrangement. I guess it would be best to just do standard circuits and test to start. You could do a dead short that would be nice and easy. I was thinking to get a box of resistors that you buy from fire alarm panel distributors. Also switching from wiring parallel into series on a lighting circuit. If you think about the faults you are likely to encounter and work out how that would read on your meter you can then think of what resistor to use where.

To the OP just read your opening post & it says your'e starting on a level 3, can I ask what level 3 course it is?
2365 Level 3.. I have very little on hands on experience and I am at an age an Apprenticeship won't work for me.. so I need to make sure I am practising at home all the time, or it is pointless doing any of this.

This is what I'll mock up this weekend.. will be fine for testing and practising wiring for now do you think gents? And I'll also be able to have power to it to make sure my wiring is correct.

Attachments

• 20201113_081103.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 8
You could even install a few accessories with real faults (if you can get hold of some). From this past week's jobs, mine included:
- A ceiling rose with burnt out plastic, arcing from L to switched L (so light remained on flickering).
- An FCU with welded L switch contacts, so it only turned off N.
- A badly overheated shower isolator with a significant resistance between N terminals.

You could even install a few accessories with real faults (if you can get hold of some). From this past week's jobs, mine included:
- A ceiling rose with burnt out plastic, arcing from L to switched L (so light remained on flickering).
- An FCU with welded L switch contacts, so it only turned off N.
- A badly overheated shower isolator with a significant resistance between N terminals.
Brilliant thanks mate ... I will over time I think.. going to spend a few weeks on this and build it up so I can constantly go back to it

2365 Level 3.. I have very little on hands on experience and I am at an age an Apprenticeship won't work for me.. so I need to make sure I am practising at home all the time, or it is pointless doing any of this.

This is what I'll mock up this weekend.. will be fine for testing and practising wiring for now do you think gents? And I'll also be able to have power to it to make sure my wiring is correct.

That's why I asked what course you were doing because the level 3 2365 will not teach you any practical workshop at all, the fundamentals including wiring up 2 way, 3 way, intermediate, testing, terminating SWA, conduit bending, trunking, cable calcs etc etc is all done on the level 2 and the level 3 course feeds off what you learned on the level 2.

I find that doing those rigs for trainees is good up to a point. When they are on site however and not doing those standard circuits (although a good place to start) their head gets completely messed up when there is a junction box to do, which may have the same wiring as a ceiling rose. So maybe stick a jb in your picture with a simple switch arrangement in it. Try to wire in an emergency light an a fan do a maintained configuration and non maintained, try it in a jb not just terminated in the accessory. Use three core and do those and a three way switching arrangement. Do some in trunking and some in conduit. Clipping is easy.

Last edited:
I find that doing those rigs for trainees is good up to a point. When they are on site however and not doing those standard circuits (although a good place to start) their head gets completely messed up when there is a junction box to do, which may have the same wiring as a ceiling rose. So maybe stick a jb in your picture with a simple switch arrangement in it. Try to wire in an emergency light an a fan do a maintained configuration and non maintained, try it in a jb not just terminated in the accessory. Use three core and do those and a three way switching arrangement. Do some in trunking and some in conduit. Clipping is easy.
Thank you pal

I'm going to pick up a 8x4 board later and start working on it in the garage. The spark here said just wire flex from the main incomer on my old consumer unit and stick a plug top on it and that will be fine for what I need.

Attachments

• 20201112_082630.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 2
I'm going to pick up a 8x4 board later and start working on it in the garage. The spark here said just wire flex from the main incomer on my old consumer unit and stick a plug top on it and that will be fine for what I need.
Yes, just be very careful. safe working practices is paramount, understand the risks, quite easy to leave the plug switched on, buy a lock off kit that will limit the risk.

If you think you wont make a mistake, that is your first big mistake. Being an electrician means that without a doubt at some point you will experience an electric shock. Safe isolation is just part of the strategy to staying alive. We wear thick rubber soled boots and use fibre glass ladders to increase resistance to a point that if or should I say when we get a shock it is sufficiently high to mitigate the fatal aspect of that shock. We never come in out of the rain and start on electrics 'til we are dried out. Working on a rig at 230v imho is an invitation to get a shock. Your strategy then would be to use a xformer to limit the voltage to 55v (it is centre tapped!) in the event of a shock. If you are not thinking like this (being OCD safe!) you would not be working with me for a start, you must take safety very seriously. Further you may well be working on your own if you do come to grief (God forbid) there will be no one there to assist or remove you with a large lump of wood by hitting you with it, so safety first I would say, but that may be a bit over the top for some. For me, I aint taking no chances neither should you. Oh and if you do need help with a large lump of wood in case of shock, happy to help :)

Reply to Virtual wiring practice in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net