Discuss Virtual wiring practice in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Morning all,

I have been looking for an online tool or site that I can practice my wiring .. does one exist - I can't find it ??

I am starting my level 3 after a year out and want to get my practice in..

Alternatively could anyone point me in the direction of a mock set up I could do at home?

Mark

A mock up board at home would be more use I reckon. Get an old consumer unit and some sockets, 2 way light switches, focus etc. Screw to a bit of MDF, wire up, test, test again. More testing. Etc.

Maybe start with one way switching for the light, then convert to two way. Then maybe go for an intermediate also.

If you want to get fancy you could add resistors to simulate realistic cable lengths. And also to simulate faults - so that you can see how your MFT would show them.

Sounds like a plan ! Could I get juice from a battery ? Or just do it with out and test ?

You can start off without power and get comfortable doing the dead tests. Then, assuming you feel competent, you could energise the board and do some live tests. Obviously work at a pace you are comfortable with.

I personally wouldn't use a battery for testing as you will get unrealistic results. Nothing to stop you using a battery to investigate switching etc though. But you would need 12V lamps obviously.

You can start off without power and get comfortable doing the dead tests. Then, assuming you feel competent, you could energise the board and do some live tests. Obviously work at a pace you are comfortable with.

I personally wouldn't use a battery for testing as you will get unrealistic results. Nothing to stop you using a battery to investigate switching etc though. But you would need 12V lamps obviously.
Brilliant.. I will get started this weekend I think

pretty sure @Lister has a board setup at home that is just as described.

if you are going to energise it from the mains, i would recommend powering it from a plug and flex.
Ensure the circuit it is plugged into is protected by an rcd (if it is not, buy a plug in rcd).

Put a lockable isolator on the board and run the supply through it before it goes to anything. ensure it isolates both the live and neutral.

There are 3 reasons for this.

1. it will get you used to isolating, checking and locking off supply before working.
2. we all make mistakes, especially when learning or practicing, so it could improve your life expectancy.

3. some sockets only isolate the live (when switched off), not the neutral. when you cut a cable or touch neutral to earth, it is likely to trip the rcd that supply's the house or the socket circuits.

(this can pee off the wife, kids, parents, lodgers, housemates, etc. when it stops tv recordings, dinner cooking, phones charging, pc / x box games, lights going out, alarm clocks needing resetting, wifi going off, ---- download being interrupted.

pretty sure @Lister has a board setup at home that is just as described.

if you are going to energise it from the mains, i would recommend powering it from a plug and flex.
Ensure the circuit it is plugged into is protected by an rcd (if it is not, buy a plug in rcd).

Put a lockable isolator on the board and run the supply through it before it goes to anything. ensure it isolates both the live and neutral.

There are 3 reasons for this.

1. it will get you used to isolating, checking and locking off supply before working.
2. we all make mistakes, especially when learning or practicing, so it could improve your life expectancy.

3. some sockets only isolate the live (when switched off), not the neutral. when you cut a cable or touch neutral to earth, it is likely to trip the rcd that supply's the house or the socket circuits.

(this can pee off the wife, kids, parents, lodgers, housemates, etc. when it stops tv recordings, dinner cooking, phones charging, pc / x box games, lights going out, alarm clocks needing resetting, wifi going off, ---- download being interrupted.
That's great advice thank you!

Yes if @Lister could help me with his set up that would be amazing!

Just found this in stores, so this is fine for me to use? I'll just get my ceiling roses, sockets and switches and come from this board and start with dead testing. I need to get my head around the wiring and testing as I have done none since early last year during my level 2.

Attachments

• 20201112_082630.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 13
Good place to start, 2 rcbo’s to test as well.
Thanks pal

I'm going to do my Level 3 & 18th.. then my site supervisor course.. I'm already an electrical buyer and estimator, just want more knowledge and move into contract management.

With this in mind is there any midrange testers anyone could suggest that won't cost a fortune as I won't be regularly using it.. ?

If you are really clever, you can use a separate switching box to put switched resistors in to produce "faults" into the circuit. You know get a box and put resistors in, with a switch into your wiring with two way switch you can turn the fault on and off.

Morning all,

I have been looking for an online tool or site that I can practice my wiring .. does one exist - I can't find it ??

I am starting my level 3 after a year out and want to get my practice in..

Alternatively could anyone point me in the direction of a mock set up I could do at home?

Mark
I could build one for you. providing you supply all materials and transport the finished item to the place you want it, are you wanting a testing rig? or something to clip cables to and make connections, I built several for my work place your move.

Thanks pal

I'm going to do my Level 3 & 18th.. then my site supervisor course.. I'm already an electrical buyer and estimator, just want more knowledge and move into contract management.

With this in mind is there any midrange testers anyone could suggest that won't cost a fortune as I won't be regularly using it.. ?
Flex and a socket can I suggest in your Garage or shed if you have something like that, PM me if interested.

I could build one for you. providing you supply all materials and transport the finished item to the place you want it, are you wanting a testing rig? or something to clip cables to and make connections, I built several for my work place your move.
Thanks Pete.. Let me look and see what I can get together and knock up. But if I'm stuck I will take you up on it.. Where are you based?

Reply to Virtual wiring practice in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net