Discuss Wago connectors and amp ratings in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Richard Cook

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I'm not an electrician and don't intend to do anything above and beyond the standard DIY changing of sockets/lights etc but I have a question that I'm interested in learning more about.

I recently came across the Wago connectors (which look to be a lot easier to use than the standard screwed connectors) but I was a little confused by which ones to use for which applications.

I was looking at the Wago 221 series (Wago 5-Way Lever Connector 221 Series 32A Pack of 25 - http://www.screwflix..com/p/wago-5-way-lever-connector-221-series-32a-pack-of-25/5201r), which are 32A, and I'm guessing because they're 32A I would use these on a socket ring circuit (as this tends to be 30A, yes?). And then if it was a lighting ring circuit (as this tends to be 20A, yes?) I would use a 24A connector such as this: Wago 4-Way Push-Wire Connectors 24A Pack of 100 - http://www.screwflix..com/p/wago-4-way-push-wire-connectors-24a-pack-of-100/9014r

Firstly, am I correct? Secondly, what would happen if you used a 32A connector on a lighting circuit? I can guess if I used 24A connector on a socket ring circuit it would blow but what about the other way around? Is there a danger to that too? Am I right that a lightning circuit uses 2.5mm cable (which is 2oA) and socket circuit uses 4mm cable (which is 30A).

Also, any Wago experts out there? I'm slightly confused between all the different series... for example series 773 doesn't seem to have an amp rating: 2-Way Push-Wire Connector 773 Series Pack of 100 - http://www.screwflix..com/p/2-way-push-wire-connector-773-series-pack-of-100/77102 so what would these be used for? And what about these? http://www.screwflix..com/p/5-way-lever-connector-222-series-pack-of-40/38224

Thanks all... just curious and wanted to know more.

first. lighting circuits are generally 1.5mm or 1.0mm. socket ring circuits are generally 2.5mm cable.

with a socket ring circuit (32A) approx half the current is carried by each leg, so a 24A wago is fine.

using a 24A or a 32A wago on a 6A lighting circuit is also OK,-like using a 20A switch. it's the rating of a device is the max. that it will safely function at. no matter if it's not loaded to full capacity.

For a 30/32A ring final circuit each conductor must have a current carrying capacity of at least 20A so a 24A connector is fine.

There is no harm in using a connector of higher rating than needed, provided it is suitable for the size (i.e. CSA in mm²) and type of cable (i.e. solid/stranded/fine stranded aka flexible). For example push-wire types will not accept fine-stranded but most lever types will; some push-wire will accept stranded while others won't.

The 773 range includes connectors for different sizes of cable with different current ratings, e.g.
773-124: 0.75 - 2.5mm² / 24A
773-604: 1.5 - 4mm² / 32A
773-173: 2.5 - 6mm² / 41A

I fully respect and agree with the observations above that it is not necessary for all accessories in a 32A ring final to be rated to the full current of the OPD, as indeed the cable isn't. However, as a personal preference, I would typically choose 32A rated Wagos for the purpose, to maximise lifespan under adverse conditions.

me too. are these MF boxes lined with insulation?

The current rating of a terminal depends on a number of factors; mainly temperature rise, but there is a relationship between current and lifespan / rate of random failures. The MF certification implies that the connections are expected to last the life of the installation without further inspection, which the derating of individual terminations will help to ensure.

The terminals are located against each other in the slots the box, so that heat dissipation from the inner connections is restricted. Applying a total maximum throughput limits the total dissipation amongst the group of connectors. Wagos are used around the world without the Wagobox, which I believe is mainly a UK-oriented accessory designed to meet our MF specification. Installing Wagos in their native Germany they would not be enclosed in guide slots but in free air within the box - they would be less secure but better ventilated. Swings and roundabouts.

Do Wago make a 41 amp connector that will take 10 mm cable for a shower conection.
A similar question cropped up before

Wago make pcb connectors for 10mm csa cable, but I'm not aware of any of the usual fixed wiring types at 10 mm.
And thank you loz re the DIN rail type!

Reply to Wago connectors and amp ratings in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock