Discuss Wago Connectors for Damaged Cable in Loft in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Andrei_A

DIY
Reaction score
Hi all - have discovered a damaged cable in the loft - seems to be from the 1st Floor Lights Ring Circuit. Have cut the cable and reconnected it with Wago Connectors - see pics (yes i have switched off electricity and tested the cable was dead before cutting). This particular cable has 4 cables run through it. Am i ok to leave it as it is - with the wago connectors and put it in a Wago Box? I know ideally would be a like for like replacement, but for the moment am i safe to leave it as is? Or should i use a 32A 4 way junction box?
IMG_1210.PNG

Get a wago box to enclose the connections and put a tie wrap round it.

Is there black tape on there too? What’s that hiding?
Hi Andy - thanks for the reply - yes i have wago box and will add. And yes i have added some black tape, not really hiding anything, added it as a precaution in case the connection becomes loose - i take it i shouldn't do it? Have pushed the cables all the way till the end, and checked they were properly inserted - pulled on the cables slightly.

Thanks again for your reply!

As it is would be classed as half a job :rolleyes:

Ideally it would re made off and all housed in a suitable MF box

32A MF box? i could only find 20A 4 way box hence why i opted for the Wago connectors. Could only find a 4 way basic junction box at 32A. Would a 20A mf box be suitable? my CU downstairs is 32A (written on it).

Thanks for your reply Dusty

seems to be from the 1st Floor Lights Ring Circuit.

As it's a lighting circuit I'd be surprised if the breaker is bigger than 6A.
You don't need the connectors to be 32A.

I'd do something about them protruding screws as well. Wouldn't want anyone to kneel on them...

Hi Andy - thanks for the reply - yes i have wago box and will add. And yes i have added some black tape, not really hiding anything, added it as a precaution in case the connection becomes loose - i take it i shouldn't do it? Have pushed the cables all the way till the end, and checked they were properly inserted - pulled on the cables slightly.

Thanks again for your reply!
I wouldn’t tape them if they are made off correctly, so it can be easily inspected in the future. Will be inside an enclosure anyway

You say you isolated the circuit. Are you sure it's a 32amp circuit breaker, as you say? It's a 3 core and earth, probably 1.5mm, generally used in lighting circuits and, therefore, not a ring. As Spoon says, probably a smaller breaker, so 20amp box OK (as long as it is).
Regarding those screws, just clip the cables clear of them as long as they aren't exposed and in a dangerous position.
Prefer lever wagos, myself.

The conductors are way too short, it's much easier to terminate, and to be sure they are correctly terminated if they are a little longer. If you are using a MF wago box you'll find a conductor length of around 3-4" will enable the sheath to secure nicely in the cable retainer and the wagos will drop snugly into the slots.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Wago Connectors for Damaged Cable in Loft in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net