Discuss water damage to small part of installation. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I would think a full eicr would be in order regardless of how contained you may think the water damage is. Never a bad time to check everything else and water may creep to somewhere you never considered.

There’s another thread on the go just now concerning flooding, might be some good info there.

A few drops, or water running through doesn’t normally leave lasting damage… but if there’s a pooling for some time, or it gets into walls… you could have serious repairs.

Cable itself will be fine once dried out, but metal boxes, screw fixings, switch mechanics can all corrode even with very little moisture.

Certainly all circuits in the vicinity and room(s) below if first floor upwards. Water running down capping/conduits to sockets and light switches isn't always visibly evident.

Thanks for your replies. To bring you up to date here are some more details. We have been contacted by a flood/fire response company and asked to attend several domestic properties which have suffered water damage to a greater or lesser extent. Some have had a minor leak with water coming through a pendant in one room only while others have more extensive water damage covering more than one final circuit. Our remit is to check the damage to the electrical installation and make the necessary repairs in order for the company to run heaters and dehumidifiers safely. In some cases we have isolated the existing consumer unit and fitted a ' garage unit' and several temporary sockets adjacent to the consumer unit. In other cases we have simply isolated the part of the final circuit affected and put the power back on having checked the IR for the whole installation. In one example we isolated part of a ring final circuit and replaced the 32a mcb with a 16a unit. My question is should we complete an EICR with a massive number of LIMs right away, would a MW cert for each affected circuit do or can I give them a report on headed notepaper detailing our findings, scale of rectification work and recommendations? We would also recommend a full EICR on completion of remedial work. I am happy that we are leaving them with a safe working environment for the remedial work. We are members of a national approved electrical trade association.

We would also recommend a full EICR on completion of remedial work.
Depends on the extent of the remedial works, you cant issue an EICR if new circuits are involved.
Installing a garage board is essentially new circuits and should be covered by an installation certificate.
De-rating a circuit should be covered by a MW.
An EICR would be used to report on the current condition of the installation and if due to flood damage, test and inspection cannot be carried out in full LIM's may be the answer, which could be covered under 'operational limitations with a global answer.

Reply to water damage to small part of installation. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net