Discuss Water heater wiring extension in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Got red and black type mains wire to water heater switch from fuse box. Mains cable is very short as switch is upside down because cable comes from above the switch and too short to connect otherwise. Water heater switch is in plaster board with back box.
Is there a legal way to put some inline extension of some sort behind the plaster board and fit an extension piece of mains cable?

Hello. Had discussions and because the water heater switch goes to the water heater timer then the suggestion is replace mains switch with a junction box which can be fixed to the wall through the gap left by removing the water heater switch.
The short cable joins the junction box and then the water heater timer cable also connects to the junction box.
As the water heater timer has a switch and is a fused spur then the water heater timer switch is redundant I think.
As per the regs the junction box and cable to timer are 30A and the junction box will be securely fitted to the wall and accessible through gap in plaster board.
Suggestion is that the regs would require the earth connections to be fully sleeved.

Welcome to the forum.
If the only problem is that the switch is upside down then I'd personally leave the switch like that than have a joint in the cable.

looks like OP is having a long bath before he f*cks up the electrics

Well I think I like telectrix first post. Not sure what telectrix second post meant.

I didn't mention it but I wanted to cut and strip new ends on the incoming mains cable as the live and neutral have broken strands right at the switch blocks. This would make it an even shorter cable which might mean either I can't screw the wires into the switch terminal blocks or if I do then the switch is being held too high to fit the hole in the plasterboard properly.

Always go for the easiest and safest solution. So will cut a new hole in plasterboard a little higher up and fit switch there. Thanks all.

Get a real spark in, he will put the right cable, terminated the right way into your equipment.
safe, correct and for what £50?
get it done right.

Well I think I like telectrix first post. Not sure what telectrix second post meant.

I didn't mention it but I wanted to cut and strip new ends on the incoming mains cable as the live and neutral have broken strands right at the switch blocks. This would make it an even shorter cable which might mean either I can't screw the wires into the switch terminal blocks or if I do then the switch is being held too high to fit the hole in the plasterboard properly.

Always go for the easiest and safest solution. So will cut a new hole in plasterboard a little higher up and fit switch there. Thanks all.

Bravo

Reply to Water heater wiring extension in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net