Discuss Website in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Like the pose ! All you need now is a border collie sat next to you ! :)

Did you do the site yourself ? I am looking at doing one but I don`t know where to start, I have a couple of domain names and thats it.

lol thanks I wasn't so sure but my brother is a photographer.

A good place to start with building a site is OfficeLive.Microsoft.com/UK the service is from Microsoft and it really is free. Its pretty easy to use but can be a bit limited i.e. no direct html editing.

You should be able to make a site which is a lot better than any BT Customer Street rubbish. :)

Andy

Last edited by a moderator:
Is the background from MS Vistas wallpapers? Nicely laid out site. The gallery didn't seem to work for me (could be something to do with google chrome browser though).

Not bad, In my humble opinion it's a bit harsh. Bullet point layout in your face statements. maybe needs sofening up a bit with a few sentances. background, history customer feedback.

Not ment to be negative all in all good :)

Thanks for your reply Tiger, all feedback is great. :)

Its still a work in progress. I have to admit that I am not really a fan of bullet points but they are great for when people are scanning text. Bold text does the same but I may of gone a bit overboard with that one (I have been reading that googlebot loves it).

Andy

Hi Shetland,

Yeah the wallpaper is a Vista inspired on, although I have to admit I didn't write it. I kinda figured Microsoft would of done a bit of market research on what people found was a pleasing background image. I really like the Windows 7 background so I was thinking of changing it when I have some time.

Andy

Hi andy

I think your web page is very good, overall layouts, excellent and simple structured easy to used....bare in mind we are a spark not graphic desinger, so keep it simple and professional...point of view customers thought a prices list or estimate hour rate would help......?? good luck..!!

Good Effort. Like the tabs at the top - easy to find pages (which is what i would do on my website). Not so keen on lots of spaced out words down 2 columns, couldn't be bothered to read through it . When i went to another screen, it it looked the same until i looked twice. - Perhaps different colour background so customers know the page has changed. I was looking at sites @6 months ago for ideas and saw this one www.earthboundelectrics.co.uk Its basic(front page needs work) but has the tabs you have at the top that i like for ease of use and lots of info honestly written and ideas of costs, Which was the 1st site i found that made me want to read on! What do i know anyway, Best of luck Chris....

What many people fail to realise is; no one is looking at your artistic skills, people looking for you just want the bottom line...they are not looking for your art-work.
They want your tel number, what you do and a price. If you have a great looking site that's a bonus. It's no good having the most artistic site on the web if no one can ever find you. By the way, great looking site, but where does it show in search engines, and for what phrases/keywords?//I'm sure you get my point.

Getting found on the internet is the most important thing, next comes your content, next comes artistic design...unless you are selling design

You can have the best site design in the world, but if no one sees it, what's the point..you are not selling design skills

Sorry to sound harsh, in fact your site looks a lot better than mine and most others. But your efforts should be in getting found, many many do not realise that

Advice:
Your home page html title is not good ; it starts Andy Graham...
Unfortunately no one will search for that name, the home page html title is of utmost importance, unless you are Amazon or other famous name your index page title is wasted. No one will search for your business name, and yet you give it full credit on your index page, the most important page within any site.

It is fairly simple to get max possibilty, nothing is gauranteed in google especially but you are not doing yourself any favours making your business name a major keyword

Thanks for your advice wattsup all feedback is useful and your points about getting found are especially relevant.

However I do not agree with your statement about my page/s title strings.

Advice:
Your home page html title is not good ; it starts Andy Graham...
Unfortunately no one will search for that name, the home page html title is of utmost importance, unless you are Amazon or other famous name your index page title is wasted. No one will search for your business name, and yet you give it full credit on your index page, the most important page within any site.

It is fairly simple to get max possibility, nothing is guaranteed in google especially but you are not doing yourself any favours making your business name a major keyword

Search engine bots read the whole string you therefore have approximately 64 characters to use to fill keywords specific to your site I shortened my name to Andy Graham for this reason. Apparently the title string is heavily weighted but this is not the only factor which the bots look at.

I do not believe that I have got my SEO right yet but it is a work in progress.

Andy

Andy following your last post I thought you maybe interested in the following link which might help you track your site.

Don't ask me any questions about it because my site was done for me and it was a tool that the developer added for me to monitor it. Very handy statistics! And you can track bots checking your site.

Maybe of some use to you? Think there is a free version??

Windows Mail Server, Customer Service Software, Web Log Analytics - SmarterTools

Take a look.

Warren :)

>>Search engine bots read the whole string>
Assuming title tag (the title is not a meta tag)
Not entirely true, they will read so many characters, roughly 55...then they will cut.
Hence, you will see many times on a search page where the title is cut short followed by ..........

Also more importance, weight, is given in order of wording of the title. More benefit is gained with keywords at the start of the title.

For instance:
<title> joe bloggs electrical engineer - Rewires, commercial and domestic installations in Birmingham <title/>
is a very poor title
it should be;

<title> Birmingham electrical engineer - Rewires, commercial and domestic installations. Joe bloggs electrical contractor <title/>

There is more to it, on page content format, links in etc. But this is absolute basic title formatting.

There many tracking options, your host should provide anyhow. But if not StatCounter Free invisible Web tracker, Hit counter and Web stats is ok and free for basic stuff, which suits most small business (100 hits or less per day) If you get loads of traffic you can upgrade for a small fee

As an example, no one uses their name to start a title as can be seen below.
also you will see some titles cut short. Just an example, but all lucrative keywords are generic. Sorry but no one searches for company name (except of course the big boys, amazon et al)
electrician birmingham - Google Search

Reply to Website in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock