Discuss Wet pants catastrophe in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

polo1

-
Arms
Reaction score
Ok, so I've been asked to check a possibly faulty lower immersion element. Sure enough, it's gubbed. Fortunately I had a spare the correct size in the van. Drain down a massive cylinder, but can't get the element shifted. Not insured for hot works, so ask the letting agents to organise a plumber. Next day meet up with wet pants, gallus dude "can't get the immersion out, leave it to me". Applies the heat, opens the drain valve, applies some more heat and starts muscling the box spanner. Eventually it starts to shift a little . "See, nothing to it" ( in a condescending tone). One more turn of the spanner and ....whoosh, out comes gallon after gallon of water!!!! Oh how I larfed! And it was a second floor flat!
Not being a total barsteward, I helped mop up the flat, but neither of the two occupiers below were at home.
To top it off, when the new element was fitted and the tank refilled, it was leaking at the weld of the immersion boss. T'is going to be an expensive job for WP.

You said that you'd drained it down?
On day one, yes I believed I had, but then filled it up again when I couldn't get the element out. The difference was that I left it to drain a fair while as it was only a 15mm drain; wet pants just tore in & I guess didn't wait long enough and didn't even rap the tank to check it was empty.

We were working on Saturday and laid a bunch of Cat 6 and refitted Fp200 trunking and all - anyway I moved the painters big bag'o dust sheets and other stuff out of the way so I could clean up. Was putting down the floor and hardboard when I hear a shout and look over the banister to the lower floor where the painter was having a fit over an upside down tin of gloss that had leaked out over the Lino floor for the last 1/2 hour or so. I stifled a laugh (much more later) and muttered that the lid couldn't have been on very tight (he's known for dropping gloss paint out of the back of the van so a ribbing was due. Other trades hey? What muppets!

I was taught, possibly wrongly, to crack the imm element with the cylinder still pressurised as the water gives the cylinder some strength while im giving it my best incredible hulk, and then drain down. also this way you don't spend an hour waiting for it to drain just to discover you can't shift the element.

I was taught, possibly wrongly, to crack the imm element with the cylinder still pressurised as the water gives the cylinder some strength while im giving it my best incredible hulk, and then drain down. also this way you don't spend an hour waiting for it to drain just to discover you can't shift the element.

You're absolutely correct, you've described a good method. Only potential downside is, with the cylinder full and trying to crack the element, if the weld goes whilst trying, you're going to get wet!

I had an issue with a used tin of white gloss paint (oil based) that I had securely 'wedged' in my van, or so I'd thought. On opening the side door whilst carrying a case with my other hand, the tin of paint tumbled out in slow motion, lid coming off and the contents spilling onto the side of my van, trousers, shoes and pavement. The feeble attempt I made to leap out of the way of the cascading spillage, only managed to create several random footprints, that would of made a interesting episode in a Miss Marple's murder scene.
It cost me a shed load in time and cleaning materials, to remove the embarrassing mess. Still got bits of white paint on various parts of my van. I tend now to not laugh at others misfortune now, apparently if you do, it demonstrates you have a low self esteem.
:mtongue:

I had an issue with a used tin of white gloss paint (oil based) that I had securely 'wedged' in my van, or so I'd thought. On opening the side door whilst carrying a case with my other hand, the tin of paint tumbled out in slow motion, lid coming off and the contents spilling onto the side of my van, trousers, shoes and pavement. The feeble attempt I made to leap out of the way of the cascading spillage, only managed to create several random footprints, that would of made a interesting episode in a Miss Marple's murder scene.
It cost me a shed load in time and cleaning materials, to remove the embarrassing mess. Still got bits of white paint on various parts of my van. I tend now to not laugh at others misfortune now, apparently if you do, it demonstrates you have a low self esteem.
:mtongue:
I'm not laughing......honest

Of course...
if you don't put sealant on them they come undone easily. I have 4 properties as part of my pension arrangements and dealt with all the immersion repars without any hic-cups until one failed the afternoon before my 2 week holiday, i got the agents to sort it and it cost me £180 for a call out and repair:mad: 18 months later i tried hard to shift it but the ton of crap around it had welded solid and had to replace the combi cylinder:(

Reply to Wet pants catastrophe in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock