Discuss What should I do next after finishing Level 3 Electrical Installation? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hey there,

I'm here to ask about receiving some careers advice. Last year I was studying Level 3 Electrical Installation and after completing and passing all my Theory and Practical exams and receiving all the diplomas from City & Guilds I've been stuck on what to do next. As a person who came from a different country at a young age I'm one of the first people from my family to finish college in the UK and asking them for careers advice would be no help. I was looking towards doing an apprenticeship but I'm not exactly sure on how they work, would it require me to repeat the past two years of the course and resit all the exams I've done even if i already got the diplomas for them?

Apprenticeship would repeat the work you've done in college. Without working in the industry I'm guessing you've completed the courses, but not the NVQ as this requires a portfolio of work carried out.

Do you have any work experience at all? If so it would be worth looking for an improver position and, if not, then I'd start calling companies and being upfront about your position. If you can get into work, then I'd advise completing the NVQ, gaining practical experience and getting youself ready to sit the AM2 assessment as this would give you some measure of standing in the industry.

I can not stress enough the importance of practical experience as learing in the workplace far eclipses any learning in college.

If you can make the switch into an apprenticeship then your existing unit credits can be mapped over, avoiding much of the repeatition of existing work.

The hard part is finding an employer that would take on what on paper would be a 2nd year appretice with no experience.

It is possible and can be done.

As for next steps; 2382-22 (18th Edition), 2377-77 if you want appliance testing in your skillset, working towards an NVQ, building evidence of skills and on from there

Hey there,

I'm here to ask about receiving some careers advice. Last year I was studying Level 3 Electrical Installation and after completing and passing all my Theory and Practical exams and receiving all the diplomas from City & Guilds I've been stuck on what to do next. As a person who came from a different country at a young age I'm one of the first people from my family to finish college in the UK and asking them for careers advice would be no help. I was looking towards doing an apprenticeship but I'm not exactly sure on how they work, would it require me to repeat the past two years of the course and resit all the exams I've done even if i already got the diplomas for them?
Have you done your NVQ(including AM2). Once you finish those apply for a ecs gold card and go to work as an electrician. Once you got a bit more experience go for Inspection and testing and after a bit more experience with that go for Electrical design. Never settle just for being an electrician

Reply to What should I do next after finishing Level 3 Electrical Installation? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net