Discuss What will I need for new build work? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi guys. I’ve been offered some price work on new build homes installation work. The prices seem quite good, I reckon once I’m up to pace I could clear £200 a day on the first fixes.

I’ve built up quite a selection of tools over my time but just wondering if there’s any bits any of you new build sparks use on a day to day that you wouldn’t normally expect?

also, any pros & cons to new build work?

cheers guys

Hi,i suppose it depends on the type of properties,and if you are working alone or not.

If it is a new customer,i would be looking for a calibrated test device.....to scan them for any signs of unreliability ?

Laser level as mentioned . Knee pads and knee pads again. Dont ---- you knees up like most of us have ! And as it site work.... Buy 19 more eyes to keep an eye on your gear

Last edited:
I think you mean "Apprentice/labourer to do all the dirty and hard work oh and make the tea, do out for smokes, get the McDonalds etc, but make sure they don't own a mobile phone or its switched off.

Multi tool for the plasterboard cutouts and a Jokari T&E stripper tool, strips sheath in one movement and both cables in another: https://uk.farnell.com/jokari/t20030/wire-stripper-automatic-flat-cable/dp/7225740 or these: C.K Wire Stripper 10¼ - https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/c-k-wire-stripper-10-265mm/97204
I have the CK one and it does a great job of stripping T&E. But the utterly pointless crimp bits in the handles tends to bit you palms if not really careful!

I would be tempted to get the Jokari T&E instead, but I don't know how it feels to be able to say one way or another.

Or get the cheaper CK one and angle-grind those bits off!

The problem with the CK is it will not get far enough into a backbox to strip the sheath and as you say it bites, ? the Jokari on the other hand will strip T&E up to about 5/10mm from the back of the box so is more useful insitu and much faster when stripping both cores after stripping the sheath.

Hi guys. I’ve been offered some price work on new build homes installation work. The prices seem quite good, I reckon once I’m up to pace I could clear £200 a day on the first fixes.

I’ve built up quite a selection of tools over my time but just wondering if there’s any bits any of you new build sparks use on a day to day that you wouldn’t normally expect?

also, any pros & cons to new build work?

cheers guys
t/The ability to deal with all weather conditions, people who don't care, or understand what you have to do, ignorant Spec builders,

The problem with the CK is it will not get far enough into a backbox to strip the sheath and as you say it bites, ? the Jokari on the other hand will strip T&E up to about 5/10mm from the back of the box so is more useful insitu and much faster when stripping both cores after stripping the sheath.
I have these Jokari strippers and the CK strippers. The CK have longer handles and easier to operate, so I use these most of the time.
The Jokari are great for getting right into back boxes as Mike says.

Get a separate tool bag/box just for first fix work, so you can leave any expensive tools (laser measure, torque screwdriver, etc) in the van or at home. And with a lid/cover so other trades can't easily see what is in there, in case they just want to borrow (and misuse) a nice VDE screwdriver etc.

Keep your tool box closed and locked, it can be a nuisance, but very difficult to say no when someone says can I just borrow this and they already have it in their hand, ask them where their own tools are and add "I wish to know so I can borrow some of yours when I need too" can't emphasise enough don't lend out tools, they never come back in the same condition if at all.

100% on the tools , I used to have a cheapo wickes tool bag with some junk tools in in it for first fix site work.
cheap lump hammer , bolster , level , tape measure, a few old screwdrivers for knocking , tin snips , cheapo hammer drill etc
My pouch never left my side with my cutters , pliers in it and always kept in it...don;t leave laying about otherwise wet pants will nick em

The prices seem quite good, I reckon once I’m up to pace I could clear £200 a day on the first fixes.
I’d want more than £200 a day...

If something looks good, beware there's a catch.

£200 per day;

Minus,

Cost of travel,
Running a vehicle,
Wear and tear on tools,
Replacing stolen / lost tools,
Replacing stolen materials whether supplied by the site or yourself,
Lost time due to job not ready for you,
Lost time / materials sorting out damage to installed cables that no-one wants to own up to, no-one wants to pay for and if you don't do it at your own cost it will hold up the job.
Accounts / book keeper fees
PAYE.
NI
Allowance for pension
Allowance for non working time
Allownace for sick time

Yeah £200 not so good now

Box sinker will be almost pointless if this is large new build site work.

It will be dot and dab and 25mm boxes screwed surface to blockwork with cheap white accessories fitted. Any other way and you won’t make any money at all.

£200 a day is crap money these days. I’d be wanting more unless it’s a long contract and a nice easy job not thrashing your guts out to try and achieve said £200 a day.

Reply to What will I need for new build work? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net