Discuss What's the maximum a light is allowed to hang? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

sparkysean

I have 4 hanging lights in a kitchen sitting area in a commercial building, I have noticed that they are so low that you can walk into any of them. They are made of glass and if you was too walk into them with enough force you could cause some damage to either you or somebody around you, i would just like to be able to quote the regulation to my boss because he will tell me to just change the lamps!!!! he's one of these never done a days work; but done a 2 day course and got his 17th edition type of blokes who always thinks he right but really he is always wrong.

Any help would be nice.

Dont think anything is covered by the electricity regulations however the path I think you should be following is Health and Safety I know with the councils any shop that has a canopy overhanging the footway has to be so far up from the footway for that very reason perhaps a phone call to HSE for advice may be in order

Chris

I agree acat the regs dont cover it but health and safety would have a ball!. burn risk from lamps,head injurys from broken lamps, allsorts Hse would be happy to help and get one up on your boss

Hi

You can quote the COMMON SENSE REGULATION to him or try reg 132.1 (I) design protection of persons and livestock and property in accordance with reg 131 or you could quote reg 423.1 protection against burns. Hope this helps

regards

I think between us we have covered all the angles for you. Its now up to you to ask yourself the big question "How much do you value your job" I havent met a boss yet that didnt want his revenge having had his nose put out of joint:D

Chris

More to do with spots, but the idea of proximity to surfaces and thermal effects/damage might come into it if something/someone gets or is left to close to one of the lamps, manufacturers recommendations .... dunno.

acvc it was stated at the start people can walk into them which is the main worry. The distance from wall is a factor i agree but smashing them with your Noggin is more troublesom dont you think?:D

Hi

Sparkysean how did you get on? did you quote any of those regs, have you still got your job?

regards

hi everyone i have informed my boss of the situation a nd he's 'getting back to me' as usual which means i'm getting my way so thank you all for your input, keep these fools

there are minimum heights in the special locations section relating to fairgrounds so there must be a reg somewhere

Reply to What's the maximum a light is allowed to hang? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock