Discuss When will you start back working following the lockdown in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Thats guidance for working in people’s homes and I agree it is clear, it still doesn’t address the 3-4 million self employed who have no choice, some will have savings some will not and when the government says June for some money that will be July...the whole universal credit thing is a farce with all the will in the world of the person on the phone interprets your entitlement wrong you are then on the merry go round with no money, I’m fortunate enough to not need it but I hear stories every day from self employed mates who are now really struggling and have no choice but to go out and scratch a living, 2-3 is a holiday and you’d not be earning anyway as normal but 2-3 is not realistic.....the real irony here is all the people at home on 80% have money to burn at the moment as they can’t spend as they used to so are getting all the jobs done around they house...and as gavin mentioned a lot are paying cash ?
I can’t comment on the issue of no work and more importantly no money coming in for the self employed

But the guidance is there clear to read. If someone chooses to disregard that, and that includes the home owner, that’s their decision, and will have to face the consequences, whatever that might be.

The real irony here is all the people at home on 80% have money to burn at the moment as they can’t spend as they used to so are getting all the jobs done around they house...and as gavin mentioned a lot are paying cash ?
One of my cousins bought a hot tub lazy spa thing for a couple hundred quid.. Before you knew it half the street has them. Reason being paid to stay at home and can't go on holiday now. So they have money to spend and are indeed spending.
Apparently lazy spas/ pools, bbqs and outdoor furniture sales have skyrocketed...
I have had enquiries for running supplies for hot tubs... You'd think people would save the pennies for a rainy day but doesn't look likely

That’s my point @Midwest, it’s all a bit monty python.....here’s the rules that most people can’t follow ?

There’s loads of people who break the laws. That’s we have cops.
Most people are law abiding. Just the minority who aren’t.

Perhaps we should follow the Romania lead;

There’s loads of people who break the laws. That’s why we have cops...
Yeah... but modern day policing is all about the safety of the general public, upholding the law is secondary if they have time.
Perhaps we should follow the Romania lead...
It's easier for countries that used to be communist... as the general public are willing to accept more state control. Not sure our police would be allowed to do that here !

There’s loads of people who break the laws. That’s we have cops.
Most people are law abiding. Just the minority who aren’t.

Perhaps we should follow the Romania lead;

Are they breaking a law though?
[automerge]1587557229[/automerge]
One of my cousins bought a hot tub lazy spa thing for a couple hundred quid.. Before you knew it half the street has them. Reason being paid to stay at home and can't go on holiday now. So they have money to spend and are indeed spending.
Apparently lazy spas/ pools, bbqs and outdoor furniture sales have skyrocketed...
I have had enquiries for running supplies for hot tubs... You'd think people would save the pennies for a rainy day but doesn't look likely
I had 978 views on my Checkatradre in the last 4 weeks and on affiliate membership at the moment as I don’t want much work....people are spending

Yeah... but modern day policing is all about the safety of the general public, upholding the law is secondary if they have time.

It's easier for countries that used to be communist... as the general public are willing to accept more state control. Not sure our police would be allowed to do that here !

The police attestation, requires them to do that and a bit more.

My other sentence was tongue in cheek. But it might stop some farting in church. :)
[automerge]1587557706[/automerge]
Are they breaking a law though?
Who us or the Romanian‘s.

The general public will of course need to accept that there will be some deaths... and the media are making sure that's not going to happen anytime soon.
One thing I've not really seen discussed when they are showing the graphs on telly is "how many would normally be dying anyway" and "how many who are dying would be expected to have died in the next few months anyway". A LOT of people die every day normally, more so during the annual flu season. While it's clear that more are dying now, by no means all of them are "because coronavirus".
I realise it can be seen as a bit tasteless or macabre talking about people's lives like this, but it's reality and any rational discussion needs to consider it - and especially discussion of when/how restrictions are lifted need to consider it.
And, when I asked a well known search engine how many normally die, the second result was this well laid out article from the BBC. The normal figure for this time of year is around 10,000 deaths/week - but total deaths according to the article, in the week to 3rd April, the figure went up to 16,000, so 6,000 above the norm. I expect it's gone higher by now.
Hindsight will fill in the blanks. If there is a lull and weekly deaths drop below normal later in the year, then that could signal that possibly all that's happened is that people who would have died soon anyway have died a little earlier.

And of course there is one thing many people have failed to notice. The current guidance is not intended to stop the virus altogether - it's intended to keep the illness rate below the capacity of the NHS (and other care sectors) to deal with it. It's to a certain extent essential that people mingle and share it around - so that people can get it, recover, and then have at least temporary immunity. When enough people have immunity, the epidemic will fizzle out and become a background illness like so many others are - with the care sectors able to cope with the volumes.

BTW, here's a little puzzle for you - I claim no originality for it.
You have a large pond, and notice an invasive weed has arrived in it. The weed doubles in area every day, and in 30 days will completely cover the pond. After how many days will the pond be half covered ?
As it happens, there is a remedy that will kill the weed without destroying the environment, but there's a 10 day lead time before it takes effect. When is the last time you can apply it to prevent the pond being completely choked ?
And lastly, assuming you get that timing right, how much of the pond is covered by the weed when you apply the treatment ?

I went back to work yesterday after a month in lockdown.

After two days work I'm knackered

I've gotten soft this past month
[automerge]1587591295[/automerge]
One thing I've not really seen discussed when they are showing the graphs on telly is "how many would normally be dying anyway" and "how many who are dying would be expected to have died in the next few months anyway". A LOT of people die every day normally, more so during the annual flu season. While it's clear that more are dying now, by no means all of them are "because coronavirus".
I realise it can be seen as a bit tasteless or macabre talking about people's lives like this, but it's reality and any rational discussion needs to consider it - and especially discussion of when/how restrictions are lifted need to consider it.
And, when I asked a well known search engine how many normally die, the second result was this well laid out article from the BBC. The normal figure for this time of year is around 10,000 deaths/week - but total deaths according to the article, in the week to 3rd April, the figure went up to 16,000, so 6,000 above the norm. I expect it's gone higher by now.
Hindsight will fill in the blanks. If there is a lull and weekly deaths drop below normal later in the year, then that could signal that possibly all that's happened is that people who would have died soon anyway have died a little earlier.

And of course there is one thing many people have failed to notice. The current guidance is not intended to stop the virus altogether - it's intended to keep the illness rate below the capacity of the NHS (and other care sectors) to deal with it. It's to a certain extent essential that people mingle and share it around - so that people can get it, recover, and then have at least temporary immunity. When enough people have immunity, the epidemic will fizzle out and become a background illness like so many others are - with the care sectors able to cope with the volumes.

You have a large pond, and notice an invasive weed has arrived in it. The weed doubles in area every day, and in 30 days will completely cover the pond. After how many days will the pond be half covered ?
As it happens, there is a remedy that will kill the weed without destroying the environment, but there's a 10 day lead time before it takes effect. When is the last time you can apply it to prevent the pond being completely choked ?
And lastly, assuming you get that timing right, how much of the pond is covered by the weed when you apply the treatment ?
29 days

And I'd apply it on day 18.

You have a large pond, and notice an invasive weed has arrived in it. The weed doubles in area every day, and in 30 days will completely cover the pond. After how many days will the pond be half covered ? 29th day
As it happens, there is a remedy that will kill the weed without destroying the environment, but there's a 10 day lead time before it takes effect. When is the last time you can apply it to prevent the pond being completely choked ? 19th day
And lastly, assuming you get that timing right, how much of the pond is covered by the weed when you apply the treatment ? Pass

I‘ve also read a similar article on weekly death rates; think it had a figure of 8000 extra deaths, contributed to the virus (accepting its not an exact science).

I tend to trust the advice & science given by our government, who are given advice by SAGE etc.

There are other European countries, that have different approaches, and different mortality rates from this virus.

But never the less, we have to follow the guidance we are given. Let them decide on the science.

Close
Apparently a lot of people say "day 15" for when the pond is half covered.
I think day 19 or 20 is the latest to apply the remedy - it sort of depends how you interpret thing a little. If the pond will be covered at the end of day 30, then as long as you applybthe remedy before the end of day 20 then you'll just squeak in.
At the end of day 20, just 1/1024th of the pond is covered, and 1/2048th is correct for day 19.
Again, many people can't understand a geometric progression like this - and they can't understand why you could have to take drastic measures when there doesn't seem to be a problem yet. 1/1024 is just under 0.1%

Last edited:
1/1024 is just under 0.1%

wgich figure is approximatelythe same as the number of corona deaths per capita.

A couple of people I know of have been forced to try and carry on with non essential work throughout the lockdown.

They have bills to pay and it's either that or fold their business, permanently lay off their furloughed employees and default on their bills. They are directors of their ltd companies paying around 60% of their personal income in dividends.

All above board and in line with the government rules, yet no help for them. The difference in tax sole trader vs ltd company director on a £30k income is only around £500 per year, yet some people think they 'don't pay their taxes'.

This will only become more common the longer this goes on. We'll see some businesses fold and furloughed employees lose their jobs.

Seen on the news Taylor wimpy are going to open the sites again on 5th May onwards.
With PPE such as fpp3 face masks which should be standard on. Most sites due to dust and other irritants along with goggles etc then I would say it's probably safe as it can be. The key will be making sure people wear the PPE.
Expect more sites to open up over next few weeks.
I know a driver for a company who delivers plasterboard and like to the various sites. He has been told he's required back at work on 29th April. Deliveries starting the following day.
So things are firing back up

Seen on the news Taylor wimpy are going to open the sites again on 5th May onwards.
With PPE such as fpp3 face masks which should be standard on. Most sites due to dust and other irritants along with goggles etc then I would say it's probably safe as it can be. The key will be making sure people wear the PPE.
Expect more sites to open up over next few weeks.
I know a driver for a company who delivers plasterboard and like to the various sites. He has been told he's required back at work on 29th April. Deliveries starting the following day.
So things are firing back up
I'm back, we're adapting the factory for a skeleton production run starting next Tuesday

We need to supply the Scandinavians who never had a lockdown.

I’ve been working in a large premise since the lockdown began, supposedly following social distancing etc. Lots of other measures have been put in place, like barriers at reception, barring all bar essential contractors.

But people are people; staff have to work physically together, lifting things etc. Walking past each other in corridors, holding doors for others. Essential delivers still have to be made, and could be contaminated. And you should see the smoking shed, no 2 metre spacing there!

If you think you can return to work and able to comply with government guidance, you‘re misinformed, I’m afraid.

Reply to When will you start back working following the lockdown in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock