Discuss Where to attach neutral/ground in breaker panel in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I am finding my patience tried, so I hope this doesn't seem unacceptably aggresive:

None of the bars which I have labelled A, B and C are phase terminals.

None of the conductors connected to the bars which I have labelled A, B and C are phase conductors - they are all neutrals or grounds.

So what are A, B, and C, and which have continuity?
I read your profile and are you in the UK ? If you are referring to the US way of panels the left screw is 1 live terminal, the middle screw is your neutral and the screw on the right is your other live terminal. The middle screw is attached to the ground bar and neutral bar. The right screw and left screw are attached to the phase conducters . I don’t know what else to say. Hire an electrician

Sigh.

Where to attach neutral/ground in breaker panel 1620684703043 - EletriciansForums.net

Just as per the label in my post #13, what is the bar I have labelled A, which has a mix of bare and white-sleeved conductors to it? I find it really hard to believe that it is, as you replied in #14, a phase terminal.

Just as per the label in my post #13, what is the bar I have labelled B?

Just as per the label in my post #13, what is the bar I have labelled C, which has a mix of bare and white-sleeved conductors to it? I find it really hard to believe that it is, as you replied in #14, a phase terminal.

And what continuity, if any, exists between A & B, A & C or B & C?

Sigh.

View attachment 85629

Just as per the label in my post #13, what is the bar I have labelled A, which has a mix of bare and white-sleeved conductors to it? I find it really hard to believe that it is, as you replied in #14, a phase terminal.

Just as per the label in my post #13, what is the bar I have labelled B?

Just as per the label in my post #13, what is the bar I have labelled C, which has a mix of bare and white-sleeved conductors to it? I find it really hard to believe that it is, as you replied in #14, a phase terminal.

And what continuity, if any, exists between A & B, A & C or B & C?
Listen my friend the bars you have labeled A B C is the neutral/ ground bar which is legal by code, any panel sub fed from this panel you have to keep the neutrals separate from the grounds. A B C are all connected to the lug on top in the middle. As far as continuity A B and C WILL read together

Soi, I don't think MW saw the a,b,c labels that you added to the picture. He was referring to A and B as the 2 incoming phases. Hence the confusion.

I think we all knew the neutral and earth bars weren't connected to the phases.

None of this is helping the OP of course.

Soi, I don't think MW saw the a,b,c labels that you added to the picture. He was referring to A and B as the 2 incoming phases. Hence the confusion.
So he didn't see the photo in my post which he quoted when replying.

OK.

I think we all knew the neutral and earth bars weren't connected to the phases.
Indeed, but as I never in a million years considered the possibility that when he replied to #13 which had a large photo with quite vividly coloured labels on it and text which explicitly referred to them he hadn't actually looked at the photo, I wondered WT.. was going on.

None of this is helping the OP of course.
No, but it does seem to have been unfortunately much prolonged - all I was after was clarification of what MW said at the end of this sequence:
Installing an over the range microwave, ran the (yellow) wire to the box, but where can I attach the ground and neutral wires? The one bus on the right is full, the second bus on the right is empty, but can I use it? Nothing else is attached to it.

Surely it's all the same piece of metal?

No it’s not, the neutral bar has an insulator on the bottom and is not an integral part of the panel, the ground bar doesn’t have an insulator

Because that separation of N & G (perfectly believable) would mean that the N & G conductors should not be connected together as they are.

So he didn't see the photo in my post which he quoted when replying.

OK.

Indeed, but as I never in a million years considered the possibility that when he replied to #13 which had a large photo with quite vividly coloured labels on it and text which explicitly referred to them he hadn't actually looked at the photo, I wondered WT.. was going on.

No, but it does seem to have been unfortunately much prolonged - all I was after was clarification of what MW said at the end of this sequence:

Because that separation of N & G (perfectly believable) would mean that the N & G conductors should not be connected together as they are.
Sol I hope your not an electrician because that would be an accident waiting to happen. Just because I missed your A B C stickers doesn’t mean I gave you the wrong advice. What you have is perfectly legal in your first panel after the power company’s meter and for the 5th time you have to separate the grounds from the neutral. If you know it all we should be asking you for advice, and since you don’t have a clue about electrical you need to find something else to do.

Sol I hope your not an electrician because that would be an accident waiting to happen. Just because I missed your A B C stickers doesn’t mean I gave you the wrong advice. What you have is perfectly legal in your first panel after the power company’s meter and for the 5th time you have to separate the grounds from the neutral. If you know it all we should be asking you for advice, and since you don’t have a clue about electrical you need to find something else to do.

Megawatt, Soi isn't the original poster. The OP hasn't been on here since April 18th.

Last edited:
For at least the third time, it's not my panel.

You've missed reading that.

You've missed seeing the labels on my photo.

You say you've not given wrong advice when you've said both that the N&G bars are not one and the same and that they are.

You're the last one who should be lecturing others on their competence.

I'm done here now.

For at least the third time, it's not my panel.

You've missed reading that.

You've missed seeing the labels on my photo.

You say you've not given wrong advice when you've said both that the N&G bars are not one and the same and that they are.

You're the last one who should be lecturing others on their competence.

I'm done here now.

Maybe there have been some misunderstandings on this thread, but Megawatt is a respected member on here.

Reply to Where to attach neutral/ground in breaker panel in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock