• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Where to attach neutral/ground in breaker panel in the American Professional Electrical Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Soi disant

Esteemed
Reaction score
You just have A phase and B phase and the neutral that’s in the middle looks burnt. It appears to be loose
Something is going wrong with our communication.

How can either A or B be phase connections when they have both neutral and ground conductors connected to them?

Megawatt

-
Arms
Reaction score
Something is going wrong with our communication.

How can either A or B be phase connections when they have both neutral and ground conductors connected to them?
It may appear to all be together but turn all power off a read on the OHMS scale. Phase A and B will not read to ground. I think that you need a licensed electrician to help you

Soi disant

Esteemed
Reaction score
It may appear to all be together but turn all power off a read on the OHMS scale. Phase A and B will not read to ground. I think that you need a licensed electrician to help you
I am finding my patience tried, so I hope this doesn't seem unacceptably aggresive:

None of the bars which I have labelled A, B and C are phase terminals.

None of the conductors connected to the bars which I have labelled A, B and C are phase conductors - they are all neutrals or grounds.

So what are A, B, and C, and which have continuity?

DPG

-
Esteemed
Arms
Patron
Reaction score
I am finding my patience tried, so I hope this doesn't seem unacceptably aggresive:

None of the conductors connected to the bars which I have labelled A, B and C are phase conductors - they are all neutrals or grounds.

I think perhaps MW is referring to the two incoming phases as A and B.

Megawatt

-
Arms
Reaction score

I read your profile and are you in the UK ? If you are referring to the US way of panels the left screw is 1 live terminal, the middle screw is your neutral and the screw on the right is your other live terminal. The middle screw is attached to the ground bar and neutral bar. The right screw and left screw are attached to the phase conducters . I don’t know what else to say. Hire an electrician

Soi disant

Esteemed
Reaction score
Sigh.

1620684703043.png

Just as per the label in my post #13, what is the bar I have labelled A, which has a mix of bare and white-sleeved conductors to it? I find it really hard to believe that it is, as you replied in #14, a phase terminal.

Just as per the label in my post #13, what is the bar I have labelled B?

Just as per the label in my post #13, what is the bar I have labelled C, which has a mix of bare and white-sleeved conductors to it? I find it really hard to believe that it is, as you replied in #14, a phase terminal.

And what continuity, if any, exists between A & B, A & C or B & C?

Megawatt

-
Arms
Reaction score
Sigh.

View attachment 85629

Just as per the label in my post #13, what is the bar I have labelled A, which has a mix of bare and white-sleeved conductors to it? I find it really hard to believe that it is, as you replied in #14, a phase terminal.

Just as per the label in my post #13, what is the bar I have labelled B?

Just as per the label in my post #13, what is the bar I have labelled C, which has a mix of bare and white-sleeved conductors to it? I find it really hard to believe that it is, as you replied in #14, a phase terminal.

And what continuity, if any, exists between A & B, A & C or B & C?
Listen my friend the bars you have labeled A B C is the neutral/ ground bar which is legal by code, any panel sub fed from this panel you have to keep the neutrals separate from the grounds. A B C are all connected to the lug on top in the middle. As far as continuity A B and C WILL read together

DPG

-
Esteemed
Arms
Patron
Reaction score
Soi, I don't think MW saw the a,b,c labels that you added to the picture. He was referring to A and B as the 2 incoming phases. Hence the confusion.

I think we all knew the neutral and earth bars weren't connected to the phases.

None of this is helping the OP of course.

Reply to Where to attach neutral/ground in breaker panel in the American Professional Electrical Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net