Discuss where to switch a 12v LED circuit? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all. new to this and hoping someone can pity on me!
I've bought a LED light tape kit which comes with a 3pin 12v transformer.

I plan to put the LEDs to back-light a mirror on the wife's bedside table (she looks better in dim light!!!! :)

The transformer will plug straight into a normal 3 pin socket but that's behind the bed so I need to wire in a switch. so here's my question, do I need to have the switch on the 240v side (between the socket and the transformer) , or could I put a 12v 20amp toggle switch between the transformer and the LED tape. the second route would be much neater if it worked technically. so to be clear, the transformer would be permanently plugged in and live, but power would be switched on the 12v dc side of the circuit.

thanks guys

Hi. Thanks. Ive already bought the led kit. If i could do a simple switch I'd prefer that to a remote control, especially as we'd lose it!

Transformers tend to get warm when left powered up with an open secondary. However with the size of it, probably not an issue.

Both would work.

Also make sure the transformer/PSU is located somewhere where it can get some airflow around it, and its not trapped behind the bed.

You could put the switch in either the mains or ELV side of the LED power supply.
IKEA (and others) have the switching on the ELV side. As an electrician, my training tells me that switching the 230V power off is better and safer.

I wouldn’t want to fly off on holidays leaving a “made in China to the lowest cost” power supply plugged in.

Reply to where to switch a 12v LED circuit? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock