Discuss Which capping do you use in a wide chase down to consumer unit? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I haven't done many rewires and have not come across the scenario where I need to bring all the cables down to a consumer unit in a chase. I expect there will be around 10-15 cables of varying sizes.

I can find 50mm capping but is there a better way to cover a large amount of cables in a chase or is a just a matter of using many pieces of standard size capping?

Cheers all.

I haven't done many rewires and have not come across the scenario where I need to bring all the cables down to a consumer unit in a chase. I expect there will be around 10-15 cables of varying sizes.

I can find 50mm capping but is there a better way to cover a large amount of cables in a chase or is a just a matter of using many pieces of standard size capping?

Cheers all.
I just use multiple bits of triple capping.

My wholesaler stocks 200mm wide capping, ask for that or use multiple pieces or dont bother with capping. Just put tail protection on the mains and leave the final ccts.

My wholesaler stocks 200mm wide capping, ask for that or use multiple pieces or dont bother with capping. Just put tail protection on the mains and leave the final ccts.
so why bother with capping when you have a mad man on the end of a drill & wife with a hammer putting up pictures of the family
Bad-Family-Photo-Ugly-Portrait.jpg

i've used 50mm x 16mm plastic mini-trunking in such situations. beauty of that is being able to fish the cable that you forgot after it's been plastered over.

This is why I don't like capping over the drops to the consumer unit, it makes future installs much more difficult than they need to be. Ideally, you would give the customer the choice between capping and trunking, so that they can make an informed decision.

Also, the tails may get plastered in as well. What is the usual method of giving mechanical protection. They will not be SWA. I would need to fit 2 x25mm tails + 1 x 16mm Main earth.

32mm metal conduit? Bloody expensive!

HHD depending on what other works are going on apart from rewiring you can sometimes persuade customers to batten off where all the cables come down, makes our job much easier then. :)

Also, the tails may get plastered in as well. What is the usual method of giving mechanical protection. They will not be SWA. I would need to fit 2 x25mm tails + 1 x 16mm Main earth.

32mm metal conduit? Bloody expensive!

Lookup- trident solutions, they make a product called TP3 it’s nail proof and designed to fit 2x25mm and a 16mm. It’s not the cheap but buy it in bulk and it’s easy, it’s also handy for cables out of zone etc.

HHD depending on what other works are going on apart from rewiring you can sometimes persuade customers to batten off where all the cables come down, makes our job much easier then. :)
I've done that before ages ago. Why didn't I think of that again. Much better idea Dave, cheers :)

I've done that before ages ago. Why didn't I think of that again. Much better idea Dave, cheers :)
that just shows how your level of experience has advanced. you now start forgetting things that you've learnt. eventually, you'll get to my level where you will forget your own name. :D:D:D.

Reply to Which capping do you use in a wide chase down to consumer unit? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net