Discuss Which multifunctional tester? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

17th.

It now requires phase rotation to be tested, where applicable.:)

i know that jason ;)

isnt gary saying that nic require your multifunction tester to do phase rotation :confused: as thats the way i read it

surely any suitably qualified spark knows the correct testing sequence and also know that its got nothing to do with the nic :confused:

i know that jason ;)

isnt gary saying that nic require your multifunction tester to do phase rotation :confused: as thats the way i read it

surely any suitably qualified spark knows the correct testing sequence and also know that its got nothing to do with the nic :confused:

No i know.

I probably confused matters.

The 17th calls for phase rotation to be tested (where applicable) and recorded on the cert whereas before, it was just tested.

And yes, the NIC seem to require the tester to have this if you go for approved (i think).

Im off to work now so i wont stick my nose in anymore :D:D

Hey.

If your multi tester doesn't do the phase roration, a seperate unit is fine.

I got one myself from CEF, Ethos I trhink the make is.

Hey.

If your multi tester doesn't do the phase roration, a seperate unit is fine.

I got one myself from CEF, Ethos I trhink the make is.

sounds more like it lenny ;)

cant have the nic dictating which functions our testers have to have now as well :eek:

as long as youve got a full set of required testers you should be fine

Hi lads

Sorry if i've confused the matter. didnt mean that only the NIC require a phase rotation tester its just that it was mentioned at my last inspection. Havnt done 17th update yet, starts next thursday. suppose to have done it in january but it got pushed foreward. Cheers!

got a megger 1553. Dont like the 'illuminated wand thing' thats the first thing I got rid of. The Bluetooth is more bother than its worth, also the issue of ELI results on HI and NO_trip; there is a discrepency in the results there too. Not too keen on the autoRCD testing - tripping the rcd 7 times in succession! The box could have been a bit easier to through all leads back in and close easily but the most vindicating thing about the megger is the fact that its so simple to use and worth every penny

got a megger 1553. Dont like the 'illuminated wand thing' thats the first thing I got rid of. The Bluetooth is more bother than its worth, also the issue of ELI results on HI and NO_trip; there is a discrepency in the results there too. Not too keen on the autoRCD testing - tripping the rcd 7 times in succession! The box could have been a bit easier to through all leads back in and close easily but the most vindicating thing about the megger is the fact that its so simple to use and worth every penny
something wrong there if your tripping the rcd 7 times:eek: should be 4 times by the meter and once by you for functional test. i would get that looked at ;)

I stand corrected, it is 4 times i.e

1/2

i stand corrected:eek:
its just that ive never really used this feature(autoRCD) and just move up the dial.
the auto rcd function has to be one of the best features of the megger allowing you to wait by the rcd and reset it after each cycle instead of keep going between meter and cu to reset. i would persevere with it and you will see how easy to use and handy it really is ;)

I thought I'd post this here rather than clog the forum with another thread...

After some years of working with ELV systems I'm taking my 17th Edition in May. I'm hoping to progress onto getting the NICEIC DISQ qualification by the end of the year. Bearing in mind that I'm only really looking to do domestic electrics and minor commercial electrics (a fused spur here and there for my current work) for the first few years I've looked at some cheaper testers and was wondering if anyone had any advice on them or other recommendations.

I've been looking at the Seaward PowerTest 1557 (same as Dilog 9083P?), the Alphatek MI3100 and the Kewtech KT64. I had heard the Alphatek can give inaccurate readings. And apparently the Kewtech's are the products of ex-Robin salesmen?!

If anyone could give me any help that would be great!

Hey.

I had a KT64 for ages, still got it infact, still working.

Great bit of kit and cheap too. Well worth a look.

I had been looking at the KT64 quite seriously. As I've had some use of old and new(er) Robin separates and quite like them. But my confidence in the KT64 was knocked after hearing Kewtech are Robin salesmen. And my experience of salesmen doing any proper work disheartens me (like one I worked for chopping the corner out of a door to mount a mag lock plate!). Also, the current prod/croc lead they sell it with... I would worry about the life span of the leads as they're just 4mm shrouded plugs that you slide a prod or croc onto. Surely that can't last long if you're using it regularly? If I knew the leads were proven to be ok it would probably become my number one choice.

EDIT: Having just re-checked the prices would it not be better at that price to go for a Megger 1552? After all, they're cheaper (on ISS, atleast).

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey all.

Like I said before I've had mine (KT64) for ages with absolutely no issues with leads or anything whatsoever.

Lurch mate, you got done I've seen them recently for £349 (may have been a special offer though). Where did you buy yours??

Last edited by a moderator:
what exactly does it mean when a tester is advertised as being 17th edition??

i take it the older models are still perfectly ok to use, or as i've just qualified to 17th and its my first tester i'm buying, should i go for a '17th edition tester'?

Reply to Which multifunctional tester? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock