Discuss Which PAT Tester? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B

bigd

Didn't want to do it, but finally I've come to the conclusion that I'm gonna have to get a PAT tester. A lot of my customers have been asking for PAT testing so I'm gonna have to get a tester and do the one day course (More money...)

Which one would you guys recommend?

I'm not going to be doing huge volumes 30-40 items max per customer

The choice is bewildering. Budget is not an issue but is spending £1000 on a tester a waste of time?

Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Dave

1) You can buy an adaptor for your MFT

2) I believe that if you are a competent electrician then you don't have to do the PAT course unless you think it will benefit you.

Happy to be corrected on the above points :)

1) You can buy an adaptor for your MFT

2) I believe that if you are a competent electrician then you don't have to do the PAT course unless you think it will benefit you.

Happy to be corrected on the above points :)
2 things here though guitarist...
1) how is the O/P going to tension the CPC to 25A with one of these?...and...
2) if work comes in from local authority/schools etc....he will need to PROVE competence by means of a recognised cert....

2 things here though guitarist...
1) how is the O/P going to tension the CPC to 25A with one of these?...and...
2) if work comes in from local authority/schools etc....he will need to PROVE competence by means of a recognised cert....

1) Personally, I don't touch PAT as I had enough of that when I worked in industry (using a suitable tester I might add). According to various websites, the adaptors "comply fully" with requirements for PAT. I was merely quoting them.
2) I consider myself far more competent as a time-served electrical engineer with over 20 years experience and an HNC, than some random guy off the street who has completed the 4day course. I do, of course, accept that people who don't have a clue (local authorities/schools etc) will want some cereal packet certificate to PROVE competency.

- - - Updated - - -

I recently purchased one of these as had a couple of inquiries about PAT. Got my first job lined up next for it so will see how it goes.

Kewtech PATADAPTOR1: Convert 17th Edition - PAT Adaptor 1

That's the one :)

I agree that you should take the correct course, if nothing else it does prove competancy! I have added this as a side line to my business and as a result am currently working my way through 15000+ items! I'm getting there slowly but surely and like to say i do all the tests properly! 1973 brings up a valid point re the 25a test as it cant be done with the average MFT!

I bought a Seward Prime Test 350 advanced kit, it has everything you need - including the test and tag printer and the software which produces an excellent professional looking reports and a CD to give to customers! I went through PASS for the kit and their help was second to none! I have even gone back to them for more labels and they are really helpful! They had a stall at Elex and spent ages explaining the pros and cons for different testers to me, which others were reluctant to as all the wanted to do was scan/scam my details!

I am like you I was forced into PAT ie the customers were asking can you put a couple of lights up replace a switch and do some PAT testing Sorry no can do I said as it is not economically viable for me but I can do your lights Dont bother was the reply so I bought the Kewtech KT71 bundle from our site sponsor and it was a very good deal plus everything came in a very good carry case the only thing missing was the adaptor for the laptop extension lead but I got one on ebay for £5 the other than that I paid for PAT and microwave labels and waited for the work to flood in but no chance now I get I wont bother with the PAT testing to I already have someone as I thought you electricians did not do it:veryangry2: So since November last year I have made £250 and spent £800 but thing is if I dont have it well thats another story

http://www.test-meter.co.uk/product...ing-kits/kewtech-kt71-pro-kit-pat-tester-kit/

hire one if your not doing them regularly. I did a one day course with plugtest limited, about £150.00. It's open book multiple choice exam, can't fail.

dont spend loads of money on a pat tester.....you will struggle to get it back for a start as you will be competeing with sticker happy clowns hiding under tables just passing everything without bothering to test it......its a bit like the drive-by EICR...but for portables/moveable/stationary/handheld...whatever....you could always take up the offer from the guild of pattesters.....he`s on ebay rite now touting for cash.....

look..;..i have an old seaward 2000 which is a bit of a brute to cart around (sometimes it feels like you need a cart for it)...but it does the job....i had an old robin PT90 for a while n all....the way i look at it is in the time it takes computer boy to set up all the leads n all that lot for his top of the range seaward or whatever....you will have already done quite a bit of stuff with the old faithfull....all these downloadable pat thingys are is a gimmic......lets face it pat testing is unskilled work...pat testers arn`t engineers and there aint much that can go wrong or requires much thought in it........so by turning up with the latest PC downloadable thing it all about self esteem.....like `wow, look at me with the bestest pat equipment`...yeah right!!....go away..your not an engineer...and the `guild of pat testers` aint really a guild either....i mean what do they do?....gather together at a round table or summat?....like planning crusades on the sparkys world?...lol...

dont spend loads of money on a pat tester.....you will struggle to get it back for a start as you will be competeing with sticker happy clowns hiding under tables just passing everything without bothering to test it......its a bit like the drive-by EICR...but for portables/moveable/stationary/handheld...whatever....you could always take up the offer from the guild of pattesters.....he`s on ebay rite now touting for cash.....

Yep that was my thinking as well but I forgot to mention that I did not buy it to make money ?? you ask I bought as a loss leader it as they say in the supermarket industry. All I am looking for is it to pay for itself in the first 12 months and as I said I have made £250 from it with another £130 next week and I spent £50 last week to get it calibrated so the tester/company/labels/microwave tester/lead/plus I spent £190 on the C&G 2377 course (before it changed) for a total of £800 sounds a lot but because I do electrical repairs for letting agents and private landlords I thought why not get tooled up the right way so I have no regrets buying it in fact the Kewtech bundle with carry case was perfect for what i needed. Also forgot to mention that I got £250 of work on the premise of doing the pat testing but the letting agent talked her into getting their PAT guy so not complaining

Yep that was my thinking as well but I forgot to mention that I did not buy it to make money ?? you ask I bought as a loss leader it as they say in the supermarket industry. All I am looking for is it to pay for itself in the first 12 months and as I said I have made £250 from it with another £130 next week and I spent £50 last week to get it calibrated so the tester/company/labels/microwave tester/lead/plus I spent £190 on the C&G 2377 course (before it changed) for a total of £800 sounds a lot but because I do electrical repairs for letting agents and private landlords I thought why not get tooled up the right way so I have no regrets buying it in fact the Kewtech bundle with carry case was perfect for what i needed. Also forgot to mention that I got £250 of work on the premise of doing the pat testing but the letting agent talked her into getting their PAT guy so not complaining
well no doubt that letting agent was getting a backhander from Mr patman...and i dont mean a belt either.....:90:

Whats wrong with having good gear? i hope your sarcastic remark isnt intended for me after saying i bought the kit with downloads! i also have an old seaward europa plus which gets used occassionally. Do you use crap drills and tools and drive around in a £100 van? Who said anything about being an engineer on here? Get off your high horse! I agreed with you re MFTs being used but as for the 'downloadable thingys' - are you still in the stone age and write your EICR's

look..;..i have an old seaward 2000 which is a bit of a brute to cart around (sometimes it feels like you need a cart for it)...but it does the job....i had an old robin PT90 for a while n all....the way i look at it is in the time it takes computer boy to set up all the leads n all that lot for his top of the range seaward or whatever....you will have already done quite a bit of stuff with the old faithfull....all these downloadable pat thingys are is a gimmic......lets face it pat testing is unskilled work...pat testers arn`t engineers and there aint much that can go wrong or requires much thought in it........so by turning up with the latest PC downloadable thing it all about self esteem.....like `wow, look at me with the bestest pat equipment`...yeah right!!....go away..your not an engineer...and the `guild of pat testers` aint really a guild either....i mean what do they do?....gather together at a round table or summat?....like planning crusades on the sparkys world?...lol...

Whats wrong with having good gear? i hope your sarcastic remark isnt intended for me after saying i bought the kit with downloads! i also have an old seaward europa plus which gets used occassionally. Do you use crap drills and tools and drive around in a £100 van? Who said anything about being an engineer on here? Get off your high horse! I agreed with you re MFTs being used but as for the 'downloadable thingys' - are you still in the stone age and write your EICR's
well i dont know what kit you bought now do i?....dont know about being on a `high horse` either...hell, i cant even ride a horse...lol....

but why am i accused of having a go at someone when i didn`t?...i don`t know what pat tester anyone gets...they can buy what they want for all i care.........i just think that £1000 plus for a pat tester is a bit excessive..but its upto anyone who wants to spend that kind of cash on summat....

each to their own sparky73.... what one wants, is what one shall try get or get... i personaly want a new kind and hope will last for years..

i dont want too spend more then 500 and hopefully il make this back o first job of 8 cafes..

each to their own sparky73.... what one wants, is what one shall try get or get... i personaly want a new kind and hope will last for years..

i dont want too spend more then 500 and hopefully il make this back o first job of 8 cafes..

I agree with above horses for courses so because I do not want to do a lot of PAT testing but I know that I have to have that service for my business I opted got the KT71 bundle ie no batteries plus I have everything in one compact case but if you are doing a lot then you need to in my view get PCed up Also I dont think anybody is having a pop at anyone plus we are hopefully all big boys withe exception of Top Cat

Just to add I am not heavily promoting PAT testing yes I have added it to my sites but again I see it as an added service.

What to buy and how much to pay is always on your mind.

I know a couple of lads who have traded in unwanted test equipment and ended up with a good deal.

I have not seen this advertised before so I guess they do well with the trade in facillity.

It may be worth having a look and see what they can do for you if your budget is tight especially if you have old test gear in the cupboard!
http://www.tester.co.uk/test-equipment-trade-in

Reply to Which PAT Tester? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock