Discuss which phone? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

think it's the XL. and yes i know all about 4g. what use is it. it doesn't give a better signal. which is what it's all about. no use having all this fancy android stuff if you can't use it as a phone.

I don't understand the hype of 4G.

Most areas don't even have coverage of 3G yet! I understand that one day the copper pair and fibre will be redundant as 4G is faster than anything and also with the 5G that Huawei have already made a working prototype of which is 100x faster than 4G... Telecoms companies can't keep up!

I live in a small-ish village called Staplehurst but the maximum speed from the exchange is 16mb from BT. Luckily I do get all 16mb although at peak times this dips to below half.

Personally I don't believe this is good enough..

I recently got a Samsung S4 mini and after about 20 years on Nokia/Symbian I can only say I wish I'd done it earlier. The contract is with Vodafone and as the misses works for the NHS I got a decent discount on my monthly contract too. Happy days..... til I drop it!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the HTC one S and its a great phone. Has lasted me 2 years so far and been awesome to use. The HTC one X was the one above mine, being more powerful and slightly larger. The HTC one XL is the 4G capable version of the X. It will be a great phone with plenty of oomph.

I hope you are aware though Tel that it's an old phone you have been sold. The One (with a letter suffix) range was replaced in Feb 2013 by the new HTC One. You may not be running the latest version of android when you get the phone, nor may be able to upgrade as the new software is released. This is usually quite beneficial if you are keeping the phone a couple or three years.

I recently got a Samsung S4 and after about 20 years on Nokia/Symbian I can only say I wish I'd done it earlier. The contract is with Vodafone and as the misses works for the NHS I got a decent discount on my monthly contract too. Happy days..... til I drop it!

I also use a s4 and have it in an otterbox defender case. Its excellent ;-)

I had the Samsung galaxy before I got my iPhone 4S which i prefer once I jailbroke it, my contract is up and was looking at the S4 but then saw the LG G2 which on reviews got better reviews and the battery is bigger, I only get a day out my 4S but I reckon I'll break a 5" screen, especially now I'm ending up in lofts

G2 does look good though

I don't understand the hype of 4G.

Most areas don't even have coverage of 3G yet! I understand that one day the copper pair and fibre will be redundant as 4G is faster than anything and also with the 5G that Huawei have already made a working prototype of which is 100x faster than 4G... Telecoms companies can't keep up!

But it's always been said if you want to save battery life then turn 3G off, so if 3G uses more battery, so will 4G and then 5G, I just about get a days use with 3G, I'd get half a day on 5G

This is interesting for me too, thinking of changing from my faithful Nokia 5140, most reliable, durable piece of tecnology ever made in my opinion so am a tad concerned about paying a little more per month for something that is so fragile, of course it can be insured at extra cost but do we all really need a computer in our pockets or just a thing that rings push the green button and talk to folk.....
Oh what to do?

I have my S3 without a case and after almost 2 years still no breakages.

When on site I always put my phone on a window sill or in my pocket (not back pocket...).

May I also remind people that most phone manufacturers offer warranty for the length of the contracts. Apple, however, do not. They only give 1 year..

This is interesting for me too, thinking of changing from my faithful Nokia 5140, most reliable, durable piece of tecnology ever made in my opinion so am a tad concerned about paying a little more per month for something that is so fragile, of course it can be insured at extra cost but do we all really need a computer in our pockets or just a thing that rings push the green button and talk to folk.....
Oh what to do?

With me being a student I want a decent camera so I can take pictures of what I've done, the S4 and G2 are 13 megapixel but huge screens

Guess I need a big screen for when I'm showing the man down the pub..... Who obviously already knows how to do everything and more that a sparky can do haha

I have my S3 without a case and after almost 2 years still no breakages.

When on site I always put my phone on a window sill or in my pocket (not back pocket...).

May I also remind people that most phone manufacturers offer warranty for the length of the contracts. Apple, however, do not. They only give 1 year..

Warrenty's don't cover it if you drop it

Not sure if all the new smart phones do it but the bloke in PC world showed me how to turn on the 'wi-fi hotspot' mode on my HTC, when it's on I can connect to the phone with the wifi on my iPad and laptop and use the phones data as my internet connection, I have unlimited data on my phone so it's saved me having to buy a PAYG sim for the iPad as well.

For ultimate protection I'd always be reaching for a lifeproof case. Though nothing thus far for the iPhone 5s :( only if you want the one with the silly plastic cover on the screen

Reply to which phone? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net