Discuss Who Are You Registered With? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

niceic fully approved carnet see the point of domestic installer to get charged for add-on’s to do my work. and thay are better know with the gen public
hi albi,
can you notify domestic works as an approved contractor?? thought they were 2 totally different schemes, domestic and industrial :confused:

Hi
I was registered with the NICEIC purely because they were known for being the most well known and hence the best regarded, alledgedly.
My problems with them are simply that they seem to be interested in purely making money from us Electrical contractors. When I went self employed 4 years ago I made the mistake as registering under my name, 3 months after succesfully regsitering I started advertising under my now company name and received a letter off the NICEIC stating I was in breach as I was not registered under my company name even though I am the sole trader. Taking this slap on the wrist I then rang to change my details only to be told that I had to do so in writing and pay a fee of £95 +VAT.
a couple of years ago I let my registration with them lapse and went working for another Electrician full time.
Unfortunately this didn't work out and I again went self employed registering with the NICEIC again, they took my £440 straight away and then took 3 and a half months to get me registered after I had been assesed, lo and behold 12 months after they had took my first £440 they came in and wanted a renewel fee, I pointed out that I had only had 8 and a half months registration and they basically said tough, thats how we work at which point I told them where to go, rang up ELECSA and explained to them, they were brilliant, transferred me to their scheme and I have no complaints at all about them.
One further thing, I still received invoices for my renewel for the NICEIC up to 6 months after leaving after repeated phone calls on my behalf informing them that I had left.
Sorry for the WAR & PEACE essay :) but I have a bad opininion of the NICEIC like alot of sparks and the sooner more is done to notify people of the other governing bodies the better!!

I'm registered with ELECSA,this is my second year with them, but I still can't understand why you need to register, after completing a full Electrical apprentiship(5 years), JIB approved, countless certificates in Electrical, Electronic Engineering, plus a degree in Electronics. Since I left the Electronics industry and set up my own Electrical/Electronics business, but still need Part P!

since part p was introduced it has made no difference to the cowboys trading as there is no real policing.it only has had an effect on the sparks with a conscions (to the tune of £500 a year) sorry for any spelling errors.

I was with elecsa since the introduction of part p( i had been running my own business since i was 21), after a messy divorce and working for some one else for a year i have just started up again.
I will not reregister with elecsa or anyone of them.
I certificate all my work and inform my local building authority (they have enough of my previous certs (when i was registered) and they except them).
Its all a rip off. we need one body to govern us all, not to make money for the various different bodies.
Any really poor standard sparks in my area are with napit (my god, the certificates issued that i have seen are not worth the paper.

Ash

hello guys i took the nic route as domestic installer only reason is cos there the most well known and look good on me advertising as i realy need more phone call inquires lol im lookin at goin approved next year as i'll probley be doin commercial stuff and pir reports

I was with elecsa since the introduction of part p( i had been running my own business since i was 21), after a messy divorce and working for some one else for a year i have just started up again.
I certificate all my work and inform my local building authority (they have enough of my previous certs (when i was registered) and they except them).
Its all a rip off. we need one body to govern us all, not to make money for the various different bodies.
Any really poor standard sparks in my area are with napit (my god, the certificates issued that i have seen are not worth the paper.

Ash

Don't get your --- bitten

Ash
so does that mean none of your jobs get issued with a building notice :confused:

Good morning flukey, you do get the feeling someone is going to get bitten hard by this short sightedness
good morning to you too sparks.
it surprises me the cavalier attitude towards registration. none of us like it and if i could get away with it i certainly wouldnt pay it either, however i want to operate within the law ;)
i must say when i mention the 6 year guarantee my work is covered by through the nic that is normally enough for me to win the job so there are some good points to it as well:rolleyes:

i know what part p is for and why but what im unsure on is why there is such a split beetween people who have it and people who say its a waste of money
im employed by a jib/nic company so they are part p reg however i am not in my own right
im in the process of converting my garage into a dining room and was concered about getting the part p cirt
the building inspector told me to issue generic cirts for the work i will do (new cu and 2 new circs) and he will sign it off
i have paid a fee to them for the whole job
my question being if a notifyable job is being done and a fee being paid and he will sign my work off will they not do this for all non p sparks or am i just lucky

im just asking because i dont know i know people are passionate on this subject and i dont want a row:D

i know what part p is for and why but what im unsure on is why there is such a split beetween people who have it and people who say its a waste of money
im employed by a jib/nic company so they are part p reg however i am not in my own right
im in the process of converting my garage into a dining room and was concered about getting the part p cirt
the building inspector told me to issue generic cirts for the work i will do (new cu and 2 new circs) and he will sign it off
my question being if a notifyable job is being done and a fee being paid and he will sign my work off will they not do this for all non p sparks or am i just lucky

im just asking because i dont know i know people are passionate on this subject and i dont want a row:D

Thats the point, you either register with as a self cert company or you have the works signed off by your building inspectors dept, what they are doing is inspecting your work, taking your fee and then taking responsibility for it and also registering the job

it depends on how much work you do. normally it costs between £50 and £200 to go labc route and thats for every job:eek: some need 24/48 hours notice before work can start work as well
whereas it costs me £1.50 to notify and £1.50 to provide 6 year guarantee through nic and i can start work whenever i feel like it ;)

To register with the NICEIC on the Domestic Installer Scheme currently ( July 09) is £370 +VAT a year, that includes the visit and all the technical support.

Thanks for your repies Spark1234 and Flukey, i know im skating on thin ice! all the recent works since starting up again are all building control inspected works ie extentions, new builds and the inspectors check 1st and 2nd fix and issue all paperwork to clients for builders works and mine on completion.
Regarding works not under building control but under part p, i have not got to that situation yet,but i am aware that notification is required and there is NO way round this, you either pay the LBA per job or register with a part p approved body.
I am not a cowboy/fly by night sparky but just trying get my feet back on the ground. if i cant find away around having to register again then niceic it is. ( best known name in the game ).

Thanks for your repies Spark1234 and Flukey, i know im skating on thin ice! all the recent works since starting up again are all building control inspected works ie extentions, new builds and the inspectors check 1st and 2nd fix and issue all paperwork to clients for builders works and mine on completion.
Regarding works not under building control but under part p, i have not got to that situation yet,but i am aware that notification is required and there is NO way round this, you either pay the LBA per job or register with a part p approved body.
I am not a cowboy/fly by night sparky but just trying get my feet back on the ground. if i cant find away around having to register again then niceic it is. ( best known name in the game ).
best of luck ash. the annual fee is just another stealth tax we all have to bear and something most sparks disagree with :mad:

Hi all,

I was talking to a Gas fitter the other day and he told me their annual fee for the "Gas Safe Register", corgi to most of us was around £250 so can anyone tell me why ours is in excess of £400, my last one just paid was £414 with ELECSA!!! Just seems that we are getting ripped off, it surely cannot cost that much!

Reply to Who Are You Registered With? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock