Discuss Why are new build prices so bad? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Scroll to 1.50 in this video and watch how the kitchen plug sockets are installed in these London new build apartments

that’s how you wire a new flat for 250 , just rushed and sloppy

But isn't that the one where he makes it even worse by connecting a new socket to it, and then snakes the cable around the edge of the cupboards?

Just watched the video.
So it looks like he has connected a spur off a spur, unless the isolation switches he mentions have fuses.
And the cable to the new socket is not in a recognised safe zone.

I’ve been on quite a few developments where Labourers do all the cable pulls , boxes , noggins etc
the electricians / mates only come along on second fix stage And then someone else later to do the testing.
probably the last few new jobs were like that ...

labourers at £10/hour.mates at £15. then a qualified spark to test on price (as he's on £40/hour).. 30 minutes allowed per house. EIC better used as bog paper.
If you want to make money as an electrician, you are better off working on atex or substations, theme parks is another big payer, well worked for me anyway?

It's a shocking indictment of today's homes. but go to an average new estate and you will get crap for your money. I cannot understand why folks part with so much money for so little...but then again, they don't know what goes on. The shiny kitchens and bathrooms are all they see.
Reason's are simple.... 1) younger house buyers haven't got a first clue of what they're looking at (consider half the EICR and DIY posts we see on here!) 2) beggars choice - 'proper' houses just aren't available and affordable 3) A new build hamster cage is luxury at £900 month mortgage by comparison to the £1k a month rent on a mouldy dilapidated 1960's (or whatever the maths is)

labourers at £10/hour.mates at £15. then a qualified spark to test on price (as he's on £40/hour).. 30 minutes allowed per house. EIC better used as bog paper.

with the price of bog paper these days, I might start using my old test pad instead ...

I know standards have dropped, but have a look at some of the 2nd hand houses that are available. Damp, dry rot, no cavity walls, no RCDs, rubber cable,.lead pipes, solid floors with no air flow, etc. Etc. At least a new build will be dry and cheaper to keep warm. There's good and bad in both camps.

i'd rather have a damp, cold house made of solid bricks with proper plaster on the walls, not cardborard coated dust stuck on by some dry wall oiks. at leastyou can improve the old houses without demolishing them.

I know quite a few people with older houses, and they always seem to be fighting against them. And does it really matter that internal walls are studs rather than brick? Or that they use trusses instead of separate beams?

i'd rather have a damp, cold house made of solid bricks with proper plaster on the walls, not cardborard coated dust stuck on by some dry wall oiks. at leastyou can improve the old houses without demolishing them.
Most new builds in NI are block/block or block/brick cavity walled, with all internal walls floated out in plaster - downstairs walls solid and studding upstairs.

We do have timber framed construction, but nowhere near as common. Never seen dot and dab.

As the custodian of a very old house I feel I have an obligation to preserve it, I certainly don't feel I am fighting it.

I probably didn't word it very well. I'm actually a big fan of older houses, but I also see the advantages of newer ones.

Sitting on the fence as usual. Modern fence though with no rot :)

Has anybody actually seen the wageslip or yearly accounts of these so called high earners.
It's easy to talk B*llocks.

He may earn 250 - 300 a day but is that every day or occasionally, how many hours a day do they work and what do they earn on the rest of the days / months / years.
My thinking too.
Its all good and well earning £300 per day but is that every day every week? or occasional?
I can earn £300-350 a day often but then you have days where there is lots of small bits and admin where you earn £160 but averages out well overall

I know quite a few people with older houses, and they always seem to be fighting against them. And does it really matter that internal walls are studs rather than brick? Or that they use trusses instead of separate beams?
roof trusses are the spawn of Satan. how are you supposed to store anything up there, unless you have triangular boxes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Why are new build prices so bad? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net