Discuss Why are new build prices so bad? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi , I've recently started on a new build site in essex, self employed sub contracting for a colchester company for which I have done work for 3 years .recently I've started to take the prices as a personal insult. A 3 bed house 1st fix including 2x data, 2x tv points 3x bt around 16 x sockets , 2 zone combi heating with weather compensater, oven and separate hob,3x smokes 1x heat , 1x co detectors, 4x fans, shaver socket, 10xlights and switches and 2x outside lights and garage supply is £250 which is around £600 pound less than the plumbers 1st fix price! How can anyone do a good job for that? And apart from walk off site ( which I have done) what can be done? And why are electricians the worse paid trade on new build sites?oh and the 2nd fix price was £10 less

That is ridiculous ! And explains a lot why workmanship seems so poor in new builds if these prices are the norm now. To first fix that properly would be a good 2 days work and the same for the 2nd fix and then there's the testing and cert ?
You'd be better of working on a till in Tescos !

I guess the prices are so low because people can be found who will work for such rates. And because the wiring is mostly unseen, the end customer perhaps doesn't know how good or bad it is.

I've been in new builds (for extras after handover) where some of the wiring was appalling, unenclosed choc blocks waving about in the loft, etc.

Thats atrocious mate

10+ years I was getting £200 to fist fix a one bed flat and then £200 to second fix (no testing)

250 to first fix a 3 bedder is laughable

all down to the tight fisted developer screwing the maximum profit for the minimum outlay. end of the day it's the buyer that suffers, morgaging a cardboard box for 25-30 years.

The trouble Is the developers will always find somebody to throw the cables in for £10 a hour , there is no shortage of cheap Labour out there.
It’s been this way since I started out.
It’s not a bad starting point for a young sparks to cut their teeth lashing in new builds for a 100 quid a day.
Most decent sparks after a year or so will move into private jobs and small building works where the rates are much much better

That is ridiculous ! And explains a lot why workmanship seems so poor in new builds if these prices are the norm now. To first fix that properly would be a good 2 days work and the same for the 2nd fix and then there's the testing and cert ?
You'd be better of working on a till in Tescos !
Testing and cert are separate but yes would be better working in Tesco I've done 6 plots and made less money than the labourer! To add to it the ducting which involves 2 core holes through near engineering brick and in ridged ducting is priced at £40. The things is guys are doing this work but how can you and be comfortable with the work you have done more so on second fix where you need the time to be satisfied with the standard of your work to me its dangerous but it's all about the directors bonus at the end of he day

I guess the prices are so low because people can be found who will work for such rates. And because the wiring is mostly unseen, the end customer perhaps doesn't know how good or bad it is.

I've been in new builds (for extras after handover) where some of the wiring was appalling, unenclosed choc blocks waving about in the loft,

I have said many times on this forum that I hate new builds...this is just one example of why. In some ways, the wetpants get a better deal because usually if they mess up the dripping water is a give-away sign, but dripping electricity is invisible..As Tel said, mortgaging a cardboard box for 25 years, and some will not last that long.
Yes, you can have a new house that is fit for purpose, but only if you build it yourself, or with architect, good builder and supervision. A mass house builder will save 10p if possible. It's a shocking indictment of today's homes. but go to an average new estate and you will get crap for your money. I cannot understand why folks part with so much money for so little...but then again, they don't know what goes on. The shiny kitchens and bathrooms are all they see.

Yes I came in to new builds late and was and still am shocked by the quality of work . But I guess what are you gonna get for these prices? Which is my point companies paying this little something should be done

I guess the prices are so low because people can be found who will work for such rates.

^^This.

Simple economics which can be seen anywhere that supply outstrips demand. It's the same with all those online bargains - people are prepared to make a couple of pence, rather than let someone else make a sale.

Common sense should dictate that no one would drop below a certain rate, but there will always be a queue of people waiting to do exactly that.

^^This.

Simple economics which can be seen anywhere that supply outstrips demand. It's the same with all those online bargains - people are prepared to make a couple of pence, rather than let someone else make a sale.

Common sense should dictate that no one would drop below a certain rate, but there will always be a queue of people waiting to do exactly that.
Yes you're spot on but when a tiler pulls up holding a £20 trowel telling you he earns 250 -300 a day you wonder what it's all about

Scroll to 1.50 in this video and watch how the kitchen plug sockets are installed in these London new build apartments

that’s how you wire a new flat for 250 , just rushed and sloppy

Reply to Why are new build prices so bad? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net