Discuss Why are new build prices so bad? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Most new builds in NI are block/block or block/brick cavity walled, with all internal walls floated out in plaster - downstairs walls solid and studding upstairs.

We do have timber framed construction, but nowhere near as common. Never seen dot and dab.
You aint lived then Mate. builder del diablo, buildings from the Devils Trade

It all started to go wrong with the introduction of Health & Safety.
Put pay to using your workmate as a workmate for example.

OSHAFails1-1.jpg

try crawling through a 3ft high ( at the highest point) attic made of trusses, where the only space to get through to crawl from the hatch, the wet-pants has fitted a water tank.

Know it too well.

I live in a modern house, but grew up in an old place that evolved (literally) over 300 odd years and still have to do a fair bit of maintenance to it.

Lots to love about the new place, but I can't see it still standing 300 years from now.

Lots to love about that old place, but there have been plenty of times where I'd happily have torn it down.

Doesn't matter what age a house is, one certainty is that it's going to swallow vast sums of your hard earned cash.

dot and dab is the worst thing since the EU. we got rid of that PITA. next is dot and dab. get back to proper construction.
I'm voting for you at the next election ! I also hate Dot & Dab... my flat has it... I had really bad noise from next door even though I'm sure it's all built to Regs Part E. I replaced the dot & dab in one room with the dense foam/plasterboard system... and wow... what a difference ! I can't actually hear what they're calling each other anymore... just a low rumble when the row really kicks off !

Would have added about £200 to the build cost... nothing really.

dot and dab is the worst thing since the EU. we got rid of that PITA. next is dot and dab. get back to proper construction.

Truth be told, I learned about dot and dab from watching youtube electrical videos. Still struggle to get my head around it - the nearest I've ever seen is where rooms have been battened and boarded to refurb on the cheap.

I can see why people would use it in an old place to save money and hide problems, but how much cheaper can it be than a decent plaster finish?

At least a new build will be dry and cheaper to keep warm. There's good and bad in both camps.
Yeah... I agree.. in many ways they are better... but it's the silly penny pinching at build stage that annoys me... an extra 5% spend would give you something 30% better. From what I see, they are built exactly down to building regs level and not a micron higher !

We're still building thousands and thousands of houses with inadequate insulation, gas boilers and no facility whatsoever for car charging ! It's lunacy...

Yeah... I agree.. in many ways they are better... but it's the silly penny pinching at build stage that annoys me... an extra 5% spend would give you something 30% better. From what I see, they are built exactly down to building regs level and not a micron higher !

We're still building thousands and thousands of houses with inadequate insulation, gas boilers and no facility whatsoever for car charging ! It's lunacy...

Agree. And they should have solar panels fitted from new. Would save a fortune doing it while the scaffold is already up and sparkies are available.

Truth be told, I learned about dot and dab from watching youtube electrical videos. Still struggle to get my head around it - the nearest I've ever seen is where rooms have been battened and boarded to refurb on the cheap.

I can see why people would use it in an old place to save money and hide problems, but how much cheaper can it be than a decent plaster finish?
It's used because it's cheap to do... almost full sheets of plasterboard stuck to wall go up mega quickly... and of course the drying out time is far quicker... just a thin skim to go off. Then everyone can crack on with 2nd fix. Lower skill level too... so cheaper on labour.

Agree. And they should have solar panels fitted from new. Would save a fortune doing it while the scaffold is already up and sparkies are available.
The whole solar panel thing though.. in the UK... is a tricky one.. without government subsidies, and with the price of grid sourced power what it is... they don't currently make any economic sense. If the price of grid sourced power were to double though... they start to become viable ceteris paribus.

Roof trusses are only there to hold the roof in place. You can't floor the loft and store stuff there. NHBC handbook for new homes warns you of this. Old house with 9x6 and queen-posts allows you to build another storey. new houses with unreinforced strip foundations preclude that as the loading would be too high even if the roof construction is strong enough. Imagine filling a double-ender bath with water and 2 people in the attic on a new build...
Near me, a "well-respected" builder had a problem when owners found rising damp. Surveyor arrived...can't be rising damp in a 6-month old timber frame house! Oh, right...built on a concrete raft, and the plasterboard walls are sitting on the slab, with no gap and no membrane. Builder: we built as per the drawings! FFS...you are not a builder if you don't query that design. Job and finish...
Scottish schools falling down, built with P{FI money...walls fall down and child is killed...no ties in the walls. Brickie to blame cos he should have mentioned it and refused to do the job?
Foreman to blame because he didn't listen to brickie and threatened to throw him off site?
BC to blame because they didn't inspect ongoing works?
Architect to blame because he didn't specify wall ties, when any brickie/foreman/ builder worth his salt would take it for granted that you don't build walls without them?
No-one to blame...
No pride, no care, no blame, nobody goes to jail...and they do it all again next week.
You guys do a proper, safe job...and nobody wants to pay you. I think strike action is the way forward! Boycott the builders, make them pay! How can you have labourers pulling in cables etc then boarding out, and only getting electricians in for 2nd fix? What happens if the tests are bad? Rip it all out again? Surely testing must take place before that?
I am heartily sick and tired of poor workmanship being accepted as the norm, driving the good guys down. I know this is an ongoing problem, and proper recognition for qualified sparks is an issue, but unless you have a revolution you will be beaten down and out.
What's that going through the roof?

Oh, it's my blood pressure!
and I'm not even an electrician...

Why wasn't the Architect, Borough Council or Fire officer prosecuted for the Grenfell Tower fire? I have my own theories, but I don't think they will stand scrutiny in Court.

Reply to Why are new build prices so bad? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net